Notices

I'm addicted to World of Warcraft...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to World of Warcraft...

...And it's a long story of how I got here, but I'm tired and my eyes are burned out from staring at the computer screen so long, so I'd like to make this short.

Is there anyone else who is familiar with this issue and how can I stop being addicted without totally giving up playing? Is there anyone else in recovery from WoW around?

The thing is, if it wasn't WoW, it would be another game or just blogging on the internet or even doing something else. I am just a permanent addict to something and WoW is that current something.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GamerZombie, have you tried to find a support group or site for this type of addiction? I suggest finding a therapist who deals with addictive or obssessive behavior.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess I should explain myself more in-depth in order for this to make sense. I feel like I am an addict and I will never not be addicted to "something." Even if I stopped playing World of Warcraft today, I would soon find another replacement addiction. I even sometimes just "drop" my addictions for others.

I did drink for one semester of school, and I started drinking VERY heavily by the end of the semester, I was up to about half a liter of hard alcohol a day. But then one day I just decided I was bored with it and stopped.

I was addicted to a different MMORPG for about two years before this and played 12+ hours a day but I got bored with it and quit.

I did smoke weed (legally, because my state has compassionate use laws and I qualify) for a couple years but I quit that too.

I've even been addicted to running. I know, people think that's healthy or something, but I was at the point where I was depressed after a run and experienced that "down" from the runner's high.

I've been addicted to the internet and just blogging or posting on forums (like this one!)

I'm one of those people who, no matter what I do, I will always have some addiction.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I don't think you need to always have some kind of addiction.

Know that stopping gaming/drinking whatever it is, is only the first step. That's when the hard work begins of looking inside yourself and figuring out what the underlying issues are.

Have you considered counselling?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Part of recovery was learning to balance all things in my life. It's so easy to replace one addiction with another, even with an activity which is under normal circumstances healthy like exercise. It is what happens when parts of recovery may be incomplete or unaddressed because recovery involves so much of the person and not just giving up the habit itself. It sounds like an ongoing concern for you and I agree if it has gone this far, maybe it is time to look at some counseling in the area and an overall assessment.

A younger family member and I play but not very seriously. I can see though how much the time commitment would be if you did want to progress in it, and how it is just totally geared towards an obsessive trait of personality. It is designed that way for a reason - for profit. Maybe stop the subscription as soon as you can and seek out some treatment.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

maybe you could use it to your advantage. try having the next addiction become addicted to making your life better or doing things for other people. you could make it a game or something....
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey...figure out what's missing...what you're trying to fill. Like Anna wrote consider counseling. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Is there anyone else who is familiar with this issue and how can I stop being addicted without totally giving up playing? Is there anyone else in recovery from WoW around?"

I'm not familiar with WoW, but I think addictions often have a lot of cross-over. One of them being that addicts really can't moderate in the long term. Have you thought about cancelling that subscription.

There's a lot of stuff about this at Wowaholics Anonymous | Quit WoW Addiction, Win at Life
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi GZ I traded addictions for a long time - video games to reading to exercising to food to studying to video games, etc, it was a cycle that never addressed the underlying causes of my addictive behavior.

What were the underlying causes? I have this list somewhere, and it's about 3 pages long at least LOL. But once I worked on those underlying causes, moderation came naturally, if a little oddly at first. I wasn't used to doing things without losing myself in them initially.

Welcome to SR
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Video games has been a major addiction for me in the past! Finding a balance is not always easy, but getting out into the "outside" can be a good break. Fill time with OTHER interests. I had to use timers for my gaming - so my kids could play!!