Notices

AA Clubs Versus AA Church Meetings

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

AA Clubs Versus AA Church Meetings

I am wondering if you folks go to more meetings at local churches or AA "clubs"? Also do you think the different meetings attract different people where you live. The AA clubhouses near me tend to sometimes be out of control. I also hear a lot of gossip at these clubs. I'm thinking of attending more once a week church type meetings. The good thing about these clubs are the convenience though. One club nearby has meetings from 6AM until midnight with lots of people at them.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Consider looking for quality, not quantity.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We no longer have a Alano organization in my town.
about 5 years ago we voted to disband it.

about a year ago my home group ...once the only meeting
in the county ... branched out and began the 2nd meeting...

Both groups rent spaces ..neither are in a church.
Option 3 I supose....

I attend both......as do others...so no....I see no difference.
Between the 2...we have 40 meetings weekly...

Gossip? some people do...others do not......just the same as with
any group of people.
You always have the option to not participate.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-01-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't see a difference here. In my town all meetings are at a small 'sobriety house'. In the next town over, there are meetings at 2 churches and a community center. All good groups.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Many of the meetings at the clubs around here seem to attract more people just out of rehab, and folks just coming off their "bottom". I think that's probably because there tend to be meetings around the clock, and thus, available when someone needs more than one meeting a day.

There's also a lot of good long-term sobriety there, though, because a lot of people who want to help newcomers gravitate there.

Just my personal observation. I went to a lot of club meetings (at least a couple a week) when I was doing my "90 in 90". I still like to go once in awhile. It's good for me to be around people with backgrounds and stories much different from mine, but still see the common thread of alcoholism.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Regardless of where the meeting is held, some meetings are simply a social club for people not drinking. A majority of people there share a common problem.

Other meetings are filled with recovered alcoholics who have had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps. A majority of people there share a common solution.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

There was a time when I actually appreciated the Alano Club in my area. My gas and electricity was shut off for about 6 months and the sun was going down before 6 PM with temperatures sometimes going below freezing. Talk about a dismal way to spend the night.

Even then, the crowd at the local buss station was beginning to look good to me. LOL!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

we don`t have too many clubs here but they appear to have a certain draw to certain kinds of folks like people looking for sex,cash and anything else others can get from them and yes,there is more "drama" around clubs.
we even see AA members going there trying to 'recruit" members for their own groups elsewhere.
of course we see people getting and staying sober
Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know about anywhere else but if I was to ever go to a "Club" in this area it's because I really needed a cup of coffee. From what I've seen most of them are a public 5th step where the members try to out do each other.