Notices

newby who needs sum guidance

Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newby who needs sum guidance

hi every1 im 25 years old and hav been binge drinking now since i was 18 say 2 a week but at 23 instead ov having normal hangovers like i used to have iv been having panic attacks all day after my nites ov drinking , now i know the cause is my drinking im trying to stop alltogether im now on my 5th day without a drink and am feeling very anxious and nervouse but i do hav valium which i take wen need 2 can sum1 plz tell me how many days it takes before the anxiety and depresssion starts to ease of and get better , so i hav a goal to get 2 if u know wat i mean . I am taking anti depressants and hav done for 2 years but hav drank with them but now im ready to giv it up alltogether any help would b great thanx
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to a detox, talk to a doctor. Go to an AA/NA meeting.

How much do you want it? Nobody said it would be easy.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

hello slammin, welcome to SR.
Going to see your doctor would be a good idea to start with. They could answer all your questions, and help manage those panic attacks. Thats a biggy b/c those things just drain away mental energy like you have holes in your head. From experience and tailking too others i found that smoking can trigger panic attacks too, so reducing that would help. Try and get the answers you need from your doctor to get your anxiety and depression levels stabalized, you will find that staying on the path of sobriety is not as difficult.

Good luck :-)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I second the idea of talking to your doctor. It does get a bit more compicated (not necessarily overly complicated) when there are medications involved. It can make the withdrawal a bit trickier, but it can be managed. The thing is, to get someone who knows what they are doing to help get you through the withdrawal.

Next step is to get to some AA meetings. In fact, you can go to them even if you haven't quit yet--it will get you off to a good start.

Welcome--it's a great life, living sober.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To answer your question about how long the panic attacks last, I guess it varies from person to person. If you're on day 5, chances are good that you've already experienced the most severe attacks. I'm on day 17, and while I'm still getting panic attacks, they're very mild in comparison to my first five or six days. Just hang in there and DON'T DRINK, and please do see a doctor if you have any doubt about your state of health. You know you can do this, but it fully depends on you and how much you REALLY want to quit drinking.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check with your doctor who is prescribing the
anti depressants. ..and be honest about your drinking/early sobriety.

Welcome to our recovery community ..
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thnx very much guys 4 the replies n i will do it as i cant go on living like this
Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome slammin

I agree seeing a Dr would be the best idea - hope you feel better soon

D
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great Choice, it is so so worth it!! I am chearing for you - just get over the hump and it really does get better. I found once I decided that was it, no looking back, actually each day that went by after the initial week or so it just kept getting better. Will keep an eye out for you and look forward to hearing your journey. I am on around 50 days!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Careful with the antidepressants but you can go ahead and NOT DRINK alcohol now that you know what even 2 binge nights a week is doing to you (making you depressed and anxious.) I second (third? fourth?) the motion to talk to a doctor.

By the way, valium is not a solution to your problems either. In fact its merely a doorway for someone like you to have severe dependency issues in the future. Any former benzo popper would pray that you don't go down that path.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum...... It really does take a while for our brains/bodies to adjust. There's no fixed amount of time because everyone's different and has a unique drinking history. You may want to see if there's a doc in your area that has some expertise with addiction.

Hang in there - I hope the panic attacks start subsiding. :ghug3