Notices

Really surprised...24/m/mi

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really surprised...24/m/mi

Hello everyone, I've been monitoring this site for about a week now and I am truly surprised by the number of post by younger individuals coming out and admitting their issues with alcohol. I just want to thank you for proving to myself that I am not the only one struggling with this problem at such a young age. I just turned 24 on thursday and have been abusing alcohol since I was 16. I know that if I continued drinking the way I was I probably would not make it to 30. I am currently on 10 days sober and have sought out a state funded program for alcohol abuse treatment (since I am uninsured). I have tried both addiction counselors and AA before but was convinced that it was for those who were older than me. Thank you for making me feel a bit less isolated...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR squared! Congrats on the sober time! Double congrats for identifying a problem and seeking out help with the alcohol treatment program.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man. Yeah, you ain't the only one! Nice one for posting and admitting your problem, that's half the battle. I got sober at 23 and I'm now 19+ months sober. I think it's easy to keep using age as an excuse to carry on and I remember I battled with it a long time before getting sober and also within periods of my earlyish sobriety too. Am I growing old too young? Am I getting boring and going to be missing out? etcetc. But I knew the truth for me and that is that I'm an alcoholic and addict, like you I'm doubtfull I would have seen 30 if I had carried on, I knew realistically that for me then my drinking could only keep taking me down lower and lower.

Thanks for posting man and know that a sober life in recovery is possible and you can hold your head up high and have a life that would have never been possible without your alcoholism, that's certainly the case for me and I'm grateful for that. It needn't be a curse but a blessing if your mindset is brought around to that way of looking at it...

Recovery is a daily way of living for me as for me then my alcoholism is 'thinking' problem so I have to keep my alkie mind in check on a daily basis. It's so much easier than trying to battle my mind without any recovery program to work though, that was mental torture back in my active alcoholic days and the only solution to how i would feel would be an almighty binge. I don't need to drink anymore and for that I'm grateful. I'll always be an alcoholic though and I'm ever aware that I could kiss goodbye to everything that my recovery has given me though, all it would take is one drink. For me it's a 'one day at a time' deal.

Nice one, Peace.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome K! Good for you. If I had decided to stay off drugs and alcohol earlier in life I would be in a much better place at 53 years old....

Not pushing AA in particular, but there's a very large group I go to sometimes and there are several people in their very early 20s who impress the hell out of me.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family. We are all ages here from all walks of life. Make yourself at home. Congrats on your sober time. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR KSquared

D
Old 02-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too am 24 and glad to be sober today. Like Neo said I always used my age as an excuse to keep drinking but finally accepted that I'm an alcoholic and will never be able to have just one drink.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome.. If I only knew then what I know now..

Glad you're here, and really happy you're finding some support and understanding that you were looking for. Stick around!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! Congratulations on your 10 days and for recognizing your problem while you're young. We never know when our drinking will result in a serious (or even fatal) consequence, because alcoholism always gets worse, never better.

Hang in there - it keeps getting better.....:ghug3
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The yougnest member of my AA group is 14
the oldest 84,
Like alcoholism....recovery has nothing to do with age.

Welcome to SR....