Notices

Am I having withdrawals?!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I having withdrawals?!

Hello,
I'm a 26 year old male and started drinking in college around 6 years ago and have since. During my college years I would on occasion binge drink at parties and social drinking at night. We didn't necessarily drink every night, but quite often. When I graduated college I still maintained my social drinking at night. Sometimes I might drink 2 beers and sometimes I might drink 6 beers, or I might have a couple martini's on occasion instead. I had a physical and my blood pressure was slightly up and the doctor gave me a diuretic. Three days laters I got a light headed and flushed at dinner and thought it was the medication so I stopped it. This light headedness came and went for a week. One night I did go out with friends and we drank a pitcher of beer and margaritas and I got drunk. The next day I felt a little lightheaded again, but when it came to dinner I felt absolutely horrible! I had to go to the ER due to my feeling that I was going to pass out. They did and EKG, MRI, MRA, Cat scan, and blood work with everything coming back normal. So they sent me home and once again I've had nothing but water or tea to drink but ever since I've left the hosptial I've have had anxiety, sweating, muscle weakness, and other random symptoms, but no fever. Could this really be from not having alcohol? I never "crave" alcohol or feel that I need it or has it ever interfered with my life, but that is really the only thing that has changed in my life. Could my body of been dependent on it and me not even know it? I've gone a day or two without drinking before and not had these problems. It seems my symptoms have drastically gone down a week after leaving the emergency room, but it feels like soemthing in my body is fluctuating. Some parts of the day I will be perfectly fine and then other parts I will get lightheaded again or feel "weird". This is scary if this is alcohol related. Please...any information or input would be greatly appreciated. Can alcohol withdrawal symptoms come and go?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR bama Sounds to me like you should be going back to the Doc's, whatever it is and tell them how much and how regularly you drink or use.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please see a doctor. We are not doctors here and would not/could not diagnose you over the internet anyway. Please see your doctor.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Yes a doctor would be wise....and be sure to tell them about
your drinking patterns and how you feel after.
I what is happening it may or may not be alcohol related.

Please read this article ...you might find it interesting

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...640436,00.html

Last edited by CarolD; 02-12-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bama

I'm with the others - whether this is alcohol related or not, it's probably wise to get it checked out

Welcome to SR
D
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks, but i've been to the doctor and that's why they have done every test but have come up with nothing. That's why I looked the symptoms up on Google and up came alcohol withdrawals. I was hoping to get some input on what alcohol withdrawals are like from a real person instead of Google and if the symptoms come and go.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - anxiety, sweating, muscle weakness, and lightheadedness could be alcohol withdrawal - they were with me - but they could be very many other things too...

That's why, in my opinion, you need professional medical advice, not the advice of random people on SR

If I was you I'd find to a doctor for a one on one appointment - not the ER - bring your results, tell them whats happening, describe your drinking honestly and take it from there.

Good luck
D