Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Don't try to predict your progress, just accept and live it...

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's easy to fall into the trap of trying to predict your progress and inevitably this is just setting yourself up for failure, certainly for me then my 'projections' always tended to be negative and totally irrational which is one of the things I am so grateful to my recovery for in enabling freedom from this.

For me then by living in the moment and keeping things in the present day then things just seem to slot into place and I am learning from my experiences and feeling my self-confidence grow too. I guess it really is all a learning experience and what once seemed daunting, raw and anxious suddenly seems so much smoother as there is the previous experience to draw upon.

I just want to share with the newcomers how rewarding and beautiful recovery can be. I always remember the "more shall be revealed" saying and suddenly today in my car I suddenly had one of those indescribable moments of clarity (or whatever you want to call it) which I have experienced in the past in my recovery. Suddenly it's as though things have been placed in your path for a reason and it suddenly hits you and you just feel blown away by the whole thing. It's what makes recovery worth it for me and it is truly a special feeling. I guess it's literally seeing the profound change that recovery has brought about compared to the old ways of thinking and feeling about a situation/person.

I am just going to keep living one day at a time and doing what I'm doing as it feels great and it's hard to describe how nice it is to just feel that warm gratitude feeling inside. I can compare it to how I was feeling not all that long ago and I cannot help but just feel so grateful.

Keep the faith in recovery "one day at a time".

Peace
Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to have you back Neo
D
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think something different in my latest round of recovery was that I stopped projecting forward, I did the recovery related things but stopped trying to judge or force the process, having expectations etc. So much of recovery happens on a deep inner level that our conscious minds probably aren't aware of, on the surface there doesn't seem to be much happening sometimes. But it does strike you occasionally in those moments of clarity such as you describe. I cherish this and the freedom from obsession in my life today.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

just verbelizing what happens today helps me. Saying aloud. I am driving today, I am glad I am alive, right now this moment. Helps me stay present.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On a similar note, I don't get hung up on counting days anymore. Each week there are two days I don't worry about, yesterday and tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Bravo!

I had one of those moments two nights ago. As I was getting up to lock the door for the night, my daughter was getting into bed. I thought about the times I probably neglected to do things like check the locks because I was several glasses of wine into myself and either didn't remember or didn't care at the moment.

It hit me like gratitude/love/realization all rolled into one and became a huge moment for me. I was able to think to myself: Today I am a mother in every sense of the word.

Your posts are always right on (but then I tell you that all the time!)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Acceptance is something which is important to maintain myself and mental state where I like to be at ie- peaceful, contented and hopeful.

I realise that often when I am suffering then it's because I haven't accepted a situation/person/feeling/reality and am looking at the "if only's" etc. This is why I'm so grateful to my recovery as I realise that I used to totally think completely differently about things. situations, people than I do now and have done during my 19+ months of recovery.

It's very much a skill like anything else and how you choose to gain that peaceful acceptance is entirely up to the individual and their individual strategy.

It really is possible to change your thought processes profoundly and for me then this is why I find I have to actively live my recovery daily. My mind is incredibly active and if let untamed can tie me in knots - however I can manage it and harness its full potential by living my recovery 'one day at a time'. That's what I truly value in my recovery is that peace of mind - my mind is nice and quiet and it feels great. I used to use alcohol to stop me from thinking so much.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic, grateful to have hope, grateful to be moving forwards thanks solely to my recovery and sobriety.

Peace
Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
On a similar note, I don't get hung up on counting days anymore. Each week there are two days I don't worry about, yesterday and tomorrow.

Amen to that!! I agree. Living sober (as well as emulating my dogs) allows me to live in the moment and appreciate each day as it comes, not regretting yesterday or fearing tomorrow, but living fully in today.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post Neomarxist! I needed to read that. I keep thinking and worrying about what's ahead in this sober journey and it makes it very daunting. I am going to try to keep in the present, live one day at a time. Thanks.