Notices

2 weeks today....

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks today....

Hi there! I actually joined this forum back in 2008 but my sobriety was short lived then. I am now 2 weeks sober today and for the most part it has been relatively okay - no cravings or urge to drink after the first 2 days, no real side effects - UNTIL today when I've been hit with unbelievable anxiety. I have an rx for xanax but haven't taken any as I've heard it's not a good idea to replace one drug with another. I would like to work through this as drug free as possible. I'm eating well and drinking tons of water.

I was a daily drinker of a minimum of 2 bottles of White Zinfandel or 12+ bottles of beer -- for a better part of 10 years. God it's hard to write that...

My question is -- Is this common to have anxiety rear its ugly head 2 weeks post-drinking?? I have suffered from anxiety for much of my adult life (I'm 45) and one of my "excuses" for drinking so much was it would alleviate the anxiety at the time but as we all know, it just made matters worse and I spent just about every day hungover and anxious.

Any suggestions you have would really be appreciated! Thanks so much!

~CAS
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sobreity and your decision to live a sober life.

My opinion is that anxiety can pop up at any time if you are prone to it. I have had issues with anxiety/panic attacks all my life. Like you, I don't take anything for it because I am scared of the medications involved. For me, once I recnogized the anxiety I was able to deal with it better. It sounds simplistic, but breathing deeply really helps, because you will notice when anxiety hits, your breathing becomes shallow and that increases the panicky feelings.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back casinva

I think anxiety is pretty common amongst most of us...like Anna I'm not on meds - I find breathing techniques help a lot...and trying to detach myself from the feeling/anxiety as well.

D
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome back and congrats on your 2 weeks. You are still very early in sobriety. It is common to experience a lot of emotions. Give it some time. You're doin great.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's common for xanax cessation

did you have an RX for Xanax while you were drinking?