Notices

Day 7 - This will get better soon right??

Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 - This will get better soon right??

Last night was the worst so far, all the same symptoms but just worse.

Same Stuff: Head pounding, chest pounding, can't sleep, shortness of breath and high anxiety.

I don't understand why it's getting worse instead of better.

I don't understand why the docs can't give me something for these non stop horrible headaches.

I don't understand why the docs cant give me something for the high blood pressure.

In September when I was still drinking I had the best physical I ever had my doc said I would live forever if I kept that up. Today I can barely make it to the top of the stairs before I need a break.

It looks very likely that I will not be ready to return too work tomorrow and God knows when, so I have the pleasure of going in to see the boss tomorrow to come clean and tell them whats going on. That may go really bad under the current work environment. In a matter of a week I have now gone from one of the most respected employees to ?? I'm sure they'll let me know tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi inthecan

I think most of us feel a sense of relief initially...then withdrawal and detox hit us.

I tried to remember I drank for a long time...I punished my body a lot...it makes sense it might take a while for the body (and mind) to recover and recuperate.

If you're not feeling better in a day or two, perhaps see your Dr again.

Good luck with your boss - I hope it will all go ok

D
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All I can say is it does get better.

I tried to remember that I couldn't undo years of punishment in a matter of days. Your body has become accustomed to processing the toxins and this is the phase where it's trying to recalibrate itself, and it takes a little while.

Hang in there.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope it goes better for you. Keep in mind that with the HIPaa (Health Information Privacy) rules you could ask for a personal leave without disclosing the reason. I have worked for 30 yrs and am close friends with my boss so I don't have any problems sharing with him. But sometimes..it can jeapordize your job. Hang in there..it does get better.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi incthecan... docs can give us something for high blood pressure. Have you been to the Dr. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I was put on blood pressure medicine and needed it for the first month. I am now off of it, but it helped.

Hang in there. It really does get better. Just takes some time.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I went to the docs, she sent me to emergency, they sent me back to the docs for b/P meds.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IT DOES GET BETTER !!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is day 21 for me. Yes it gets easier. After day 4 (the 2nd time i quit) I felt awful. I was shaky and had an awful time sleeping and concentrating. My Dr said since I drank heavily for 10 years I need to realize that its going to take awhile to get my body used to not having alcohol. I fed it to my system for SO long, TO long, then suddenly I took it away. Hang in there and stay in touch with your Dr.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Can, In all seriousness go see a different Doc.!!! Did you see my post in your day 6 rant? This is nothing to F with. I speak from experience. You don't have to tell your boss sh#t, your sick and going to the Doc. for your heart. That's all they need to know.

Ron
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronf View Post

You don't have to tell your boss sh#t, your sick and going to the Doc. for your heart. That's all they need to know.
Exactly.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

inthecan - I read about your trip to the ER. From what I
gather you are waiting to see your regular DR to be prescribed
BP meds, yes?

I know it is Sunday, but I think you should call your DR or the Doc
on call and tell them what is going on. If you are still feeling like
you describe in your post with no resolution there, a trip back
to the ER may be in order. Remember they thought you were
having a heart attack. This is nothing to mess around with.
I'm hoping you take care of yourself. Better to be safe then
sorry.

Hope you are feeling better soon and no matter what don't
pick up a drink. Nothing positive would come of that!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronf View Post
Hey Can, In all seriousness go see a different Doc.!!! Did you see my post in your day 6 rant? This is nothing to F with. I speak from experience. You don't have to tell your boss sh#t, your sick and going to the Doc. for your heart. That's all they need to know.

Ron
Yeah...I agree. Your boss doesnt need to know the reasoning. Just tell him/her you are sick. Case closed. The economy sucks...dont give your job any ammo.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All of you are incredible - Thanks!

I feel better just from reading your posts. I am planning on finding a new doctor and you are right I don't have to tell the boss anything other than I'm treating my heart. - That is a huge relief!

Never know, I might start feeling better tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

And, you are absolutely right to not talk to your boss at this time. You could start something that could never be undone. And, believe me, other people don't understand alcoholism and it could be harmful to you to speak your coworkers or boss about this.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yes, it DOES get better. Better than you could ever imagine.

Keep it going!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I know that I felt particularly bad from day 5 to day 12, for whatever reason. I guess we are all different.

Hang in there!

D
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Talking Finally a Better Day!

I slept 6 hrs straight last night and when I got up I went to check my BP over at the pharmacy... 142/94 it's still high but way way down from were it was. I still had a horrible headache when I got up but the migraine meds got rid of it (instead of just numbing it like before today)

and when I called the boss this morning and told them I was in the hospital Friday for high BP and I needed to find a doctor he said to take all of the time I needed and to take care of myself and just keep him informed ... Whew!!

I'm still looking for a new Doc but if nothing else happens today I'm putting the first one in the good day column.

Thank You all for you support and help -You are all the best!!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inthecan View Post
I slept 6 hrs straight last night and when I got up I went to check my BP over at the pharmacy... 142/94 it's still high but way way down from were it was. I still had a horrible headache when I got up but the migraine meds got rid of it (instead of just numbing it like before today)

and when I called the boss this morning and told them I was in the hospital Friday for high BP and I needed to find a doctor he said to take all of the time I needed and to take care of myself and just keep him informed ... Whew!!

I'm still looking for a new Doc but if nothing else happens today I'm putting the first one in the good day column.

Thank You all for you support and help -You are all the best!!
Excellent news! Another thing that you'll find in sobriety is that every problem isn't the end of the world.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you feel better today inthecan

D
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's such great news.... and I'm so glad your boss is being supportive and you didn't even have to go into any gory details - yea!

Getting a good night's sleep helps - that's for sure. What has been amazing for me is that even after 9+ months of sobriety, it continues to get better (physically, mentally and emotionally).... a little bit each day.

Keep going and remember to take it one day at a time!