Notices

Two Weeks Today!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks Today!

Hey All! I woke up today and have not had a drink for two weeks. This is remarkable in that quitting was not something I wanted nor thought I needed to do. I was halfway through a liter of wine and thought, "I don't want to do this anymore". From what I've seen, my story is not unique. Busy mom, drank while making dinner almost to congratulate myself for making it through the day. I'm also pretty social, most of my friends are "weekend warrior" types, like to party etc. In an odd turn of events, before I decided to quit I started to get close to a friend who not only does not drink but who was brutally honest about MY drinking. "Willow, you were drunk last night" was said one morning after. That was somewhat of a moment for me as nobody had ever been that frank before. Sure, I heard "How are YOU feeling this morning????" but nothing so direct. Anyway, sorry for blathering..........I feel great, skin looks better, very positive. My current question is this: how do you combat the boredom on weekends? I totally used alcohol to add to fun. Nothing to do on a Friday night? Son at a sleepover? Just add wine!!!!!! Instant party. I guess I was still bored but was just too tipsy to know it. Any advice? I already exercise daily.......card and reformer Pilates.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops......"cardio", not "card". I'm sure you followed. Oh, and I am really glad I stumbled upon this site. May be considerably more useful than Facebook. Lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks. I'm glad your friend gave you the wakeup call.
I wish I would have listened to mine years ago. It took a lot more drinking for me to finaly figure it out.

As for weekends, they're rough. They're rough for me even after a year of sobriety.
Wish I had some sage advice. I just try to keep busy and emember where that first drink always got me. Then, I hated weekends laid up in bed with a hangover, unable to function in any meaningfull way. I don't miss that anymore!

No matter how bored I am, I am one drink away from a drunk. Every day.

Stay with it and maybe go to an AA meeting(s) on the weekend?

Best to you!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was also worried about how to fill the time I used to spend drinking (which was almost ALL of my free time). It wasn't long before I re-discovered some hobbies/interests that I had before drinking consumed my life. Now, I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do. I can't believe how much time I wasted getting wasted
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to spend my drinking time either staring at the computer or mostly just staring at the walls.

Now that I'm sober almost a month, staring at the walls no longer interests me.

I'm finding there isn't enough hours in the day to do the things I've wanted to do for ages.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Willow
Welcome and congratulations on your two weeks.

Our lives are what we make it, I think, alcoholic or not.

I think most of us need to look at our lives when we quit and discover, or rediscover new things to do.

Two weeks is great but it's just the beginning

Keep looking - if you're like me you'll find more and more things to do as you stay sober longer and longer

D
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on two weeks!
I've said it before here...I have decades of being on and off the wagon, am in my 50s and was a major partier. Looking back, my best times and memories were sober ones.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everybody! This is a very cool resource. I appreciate the support!!!!!!