Notices

Day 2, TOO!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2, TOO!!!

I'm in Florida and am in the middle of day 2 of my sobriety. Thing is, I made this decision LAST Friday, January 7th. I went for 7 full days and had a couple of beers at a concert on Saturday the 15th. Well, that was a 3-day weekend, so I drank all the way through Monday of course! So, I come into work on Tuesday morning, I'm shaking like a leaf, nauseus, starving, but I can't eat, etc., and take a half day to go home and start my sobriety over. So, of course I downed 6 beers after I got home for my half day, (had to rid the house of alcohol,) did what I needed to do, and went to bed. So yesterday I had day 1. AGAIN. I have suffered with anxiety and withdrawal from alcohol for the last 3 years. I'd drink beer every night, but would way overdo it on the weekends. Every Monday was an adventure at work with the withdrawal symptoms. I got to a point back on January 7th where I just convinced myself that I would not be able to continue to hold a job if I keep drinking. So I stopped. It took about 3 days for the symptoms of withdrawal to go away and I was feeling good. I did have that relapse last weekend, but I'm back today. I feel a lot better than yesterday, and much better than the day before that. Wish me luck... Thing is, I REALLY want to quit. I just get so bored without it...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting bored is okay. The fixes for that go beyond alcohol.

Either find new things to occupy your time, or eliminate booze and drink non-alcohol liquids instead.

All it takes is eliminating one single type of liquid from crossing our lips. Everything else remains unchanged and is a green light. One single commitment.

It's not like being deprived food, or oxygen. LOL It's just a decision to never drink alcohol again.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drydan

Day 2 was the worst for me. Actually night 2 was the worst for me. Day 3 I saw my doctor. Don't be afraid to do that, the physical detox is a bitch to white knuckle it.

Congrats on 2 days!

One day, one hour, one minute at a time...

It does get better.
Zube
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back drydan

I used to get bored too - but since I accepted that drinking isn't an option I've found so much to do, that I wish we had an 8 day week.

In my case anyway, I found what I called boredom was actually discomfort and a little fear at something new, and a little bit of resentment at being sober.

I could have done a million things to keep busy but I didn't...I'd sit there and stew...and I'd always go back to the beer.

Don't fall into the trap. If you really want to quit I know you can find a way around this Dan

good luck
D
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 2 Too!

I found that as well in my first week, (you know, the first time I tried this.) I was spending more time with my kids, I read a little more, I was enjoying TV more, and I REALLY enjoyed dinner. Thankfully, I have not had a problem with sleeping. In fact, it has been a good escape for me. I'm sitting here at work on Friday morning, thinking of how I'm going to fill the next 2 days with activities. As far as replacing alcohol with something else liquid, I bought a ton of Seltzer water and love drinking it as a replacement. I had mentioned that I fell off last Saturday, well, I didn't fall off because I couldn't resist. I was at a concert, and REALLY thought I could just drink on Saturday, and stop Sunday and Monday, return to work on Tuesday fine. My initial plan was to just drink on Friday nights. Well, I know now that I can't do that. It's all or nothing. So that's what it will be. I'm done. I know it...

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back drydan

I used to get bored too - but since I accepted that drinking isn't an option I've found so much to do, that I wish we had an 8 day week.

In my case anyway, I found what I called boredom was actually discomfort and a little fear at something new, and a little bit of resentment at being sober.

I could have done a million things to keep busy but I didn't...I'd sit there and stew...and I'd always go back to the beer.

Don't fall into the trap. If you really want to quit I know you can find a way around this Dan

good luck
D