Notices

You can do it!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You can do it!

Just wanted to check in and let all of the newcomers know that a sober life is possible and just waiting for you to enjoy!

I'm now 45 years old. I started drinking when I was just 14. I was a weekly binge drinker for about 20 years, which slowly progressed into daily drinking for the 10 years after that. I had resigned myself to the fact that I could never quit, that I was destined to die a miserable drunk. After a severe anxiety attack, I found myself in the emergency room finally facing the consequences of all my years of "living it up". I was at a major crossroads and finally made the conscious decision to put down the beer and start living again. That was on June 22, 2009. I've been able to stay sober since that day with no formal program, just some face-to-face support from a few close friends and family members and, of course, regular visits here to SR.

My life today is full of activities that I had no time for before due to my daily drinking. You don't realize how much time is spent on drinking until you give it up. For all of you still struggling, it's never too late. If this old dog can do it, then anybody can!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Burn to ashes, rise in flames

This made me smile. Thanks, FormerBeerLover! I am inspired by your example. I've only been sober for ten days now, but I feel like three or four hours of productivity have been added to every day. Sometimes I feel bored and anxious, but mostly I feel like I can stay caught up with my schoolwork, which is awesome. Congrats on turning your life around! You rock.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another old dog here at 47 with five months sober. This man speaks the truth. It can be done. Day by day, the sober life has become the norm (gotta give a try and allow it to settle in) to the point where I know, anything but sobriety is not for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FormerBeerLover - I'm now 45 years old, . . . If this old dog can do it, then anybody can!

ISPYSOBRIETY - Another old dog here at 47 with five months sober.

Congratulations on your sobriety, but I'm afraid you can't be an old dog when you are still in your 40's.