Notices

i never thought it was a problem

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i never thought it was a problem

My story..
I never thought i had a problem. My mom always told me I had a problem. I thought i was in control for all these years but in fact i wasn't, alcohol definately had control of me! Binging was my problem. I thought it was ok if i only went out on the weekends to drink and didn't see anything wrong with it..But everyone else did minus my friends who also binge. I should have realized how serious my problem was the first time i smashed my car and didn't even remember it...But unfortunately i didn't..It wasn't til recently when I decided it would be a good idea to go drinking in a snowstorm. Yep closed teh bar again, decided it would be ok to drive myself home, it's only a few miles, why not? Well I made about 2 miles away from my house when my car slid and i landed on someones front steps to their home, thankfully not hurt but drunk of course..Def on my way to a dui..Feeling all kinds of stuff, ashamed, guilty, sad but being thankful that no one was hurt. Now I have to face alot of legal issues and such..I have a nursing license which may also be effected by this...It was not til then on that one night of a horrible decesion which i made did i realize I truely have a serious problem. Binge drinking is a problem..Going to work hungover and calling off are effects of this problem as well.I am here for support and help with my problem, i hope you all can help!!!
I'm new here and new to this..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story JMS - I'm glad no-one was injured - including yourself.
I hope you can use this as a starting point to turn your life around

D
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR JMS! You will find a lot of support here.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad no one was hurt and that you now realize the extent of your problem. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me. I'm sober over a year now and doing better than ever.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to see that your trying to get help with your problem. I can understand what your going through with a DUI 2nd one for me. I hope you learn your lesson and start to be proactive with your binge drinking problem.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

We alcoholics share many problems, and one of those is beating ourselves up. Lots of times we deserve it, because we've done bad things and caused pain to ourselves and others. But we have to move past that, because being down on ourselves doesn't help anything and in fact prevents us from moving forward.

Be thankful you're alive. Be thankful no one else was injured. Be thankful that this event occurred, which can be a turning point for you in your life.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I caused a lot of wreckage in my life when I was drinking. But I have to be thankful for that, because it's all led me to where I am today. And where I am today is a place of peace, and of forgiving myself, and of being in a position to help others.

I thank God every day for getting me through another day without a drink, and I ask Him to get me through 1 more day without a drink. He hasn't let me down yet.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

DUIs are expensive. Recognizing the true nature of your problem while there's still time...

priceless.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome JMS!

I'm glad you and others weren't hurt by you accident. Alcohol abuse is a terrible problem, but you are in a good place here if you want to regain control of your life.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome JMS. SR is a great place for help and support.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

it kinda sneaks up on ya and bites ya in the @$$ don't it....welcome aboard.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think that the denial aspect of addiction is huge.

When I look back at how messed up my thinking was, I shake my head. I'm glad that you recognize you need to change your life.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JMS - glad you're here and have decided to do something about your drinking. We all know what it's like to feel down on ourselves, but like Snarf said, what's important is that you're here and using this for motivation.

Keep reading and posting and take sobriety one day at a time. Hope to see you around the forum!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can take those awful feelings and use them to your advantage.
THIS is the exact sort of BS that alcohol brings into our lives. I too have a DUI pending.
From the night I got it, I have never again touched alcohol. I have disassociated myself with it forever. It had no place in my life any longer. If it can take my life and do this to me, It's not for me. Some can drink sometimes. Most of us here have come to terms with the fact that we're all or nothing.

That DUI of mine resulted after my car skidded off the road and rolled several times. My teen aged kids were with me, but the Lord is kind. He spared us all.

While my blood alcohol level was likely low at the time and I did not feel impaired, alcohol spikes in the blood. By the time the blood was drawn it was spiked and resulted in a DUI.

No matter what, nobody's going to hear me. It's done.

The only thing I have control over now is me. And I choose sobriety.

Good luck. Feel free to see alcohol without rose colored glasses. It will never make anything in life better. We are better without it.

Sobriety required not drinking only ONE specific type of beverage. Other than that, it's life as usual.

You can do this!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragment and sharing your stories..It is greatly appreciated! As if it couldnt get any worse my father got hurt at work today and not to be negative but they say bad things happen in threes so say a prayer for me those of u who do in fact believe...Again thanks...Big hugs to everyone!!! I am starting to be a little less harsh on myself and feeling a lot better from all of your words, this place is pretty cool!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for your Dad and for you..

Please follow whatever is required of you legally
to the nth degree.
You might want to check out a structured program
in your area.
being pro active certainly can't hurt.

I.m sugessting AA because it's free....and IOP's are not.
I have no idea what the judge will mandate.

Welcome to SR...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One day at a time..I sit here and I watch people who I know binge the same way I have and I wonder if they will ever realize the consequences they will face in the future..(health problems, legal issues, etc.) I hope that I can someday be an inspiration to all those people. I know I still have alot to learn about my binging and my problems. But it seems like no one aroound me wants to grow up. Everyone seems tp think life is a huge party...It's not there is sooo much more to see and I am trying to live with my eyes wide open...Since my reecent dui I have realized who my real friends are and it seems to me they are ones who dont need to or want to binge every couple of days...i think is a great thing though. don't get me wrong. I will get my strength from my REAL friends and i am grateful for that. It's crazy when u hit rock bottom and realize just how messed up others are, even if they are your friends. It's Friday night and guess what I'm gonna sit home and Sat I will as well. I will turn my phone off to ignore those let's go drinking texts and calls. I can do this I know it, it will get better..