Notices

Cant do it anymore DUI in Australia

Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant do it anymore DUI in Australia

I am just so tired swimming against the stream so as they say trying to control everything and I can't I have to let go. So many days I let go and then I have days where it is impossible. Everything seems to be getting better am over 90days sober my kids are back my partner is back I am back at work but I still have my 2nd DUI at court in front of me and I am scared ******** of the outcome,. I am just so exhausted mentally and physically......my solicitor is trying to plead non - guilty due to the circumstances but I still feel horrible about putting myself into that situation and endangering everyone else. I know I can't change the past,,,,,,,, has anyone else been through a DUI in Australia.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sidney

I hope you'll find others here with experience that can give you some hope and support
My best wishes to you,

D
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

We have several members who bravely faced their dui's. They were scared, but were confident they were on the right path and accepted the consequences of their actions.

It isn't easy, I know.

I'm sure they will be along to share some experience, strength and hope with you to help you get through this.

Congratulations on your sober time, that's HUGE!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the sober time! Hope things turn out well for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I've had two duis, but not in Australia. I got both of mine in the U.S. (state of Georgia).

It's scary as hell. Both of mine were caused by me blacking out, wrecking/totalling both of my cars, with this last one involving other vehicles.

I could have killed someone. I could have killed myself. What reckless, selfish behavior drinking and driving is.

Sometimes I still can't beleive what I became. A menace to society. I put so many people in danger and just b/c I got two duis, certainly doesn't mean those were the only two times I drove drunk. I drove drunk and high ALL the time and never, ever thought I'd get a dui.

I lost my license for a year, went to jail for a few days, and there are many, many other consequences (probation for 4 years, alcohol and drug testing, and of course lots and lots of money, and more!).

...but the bottom line is it got me sober. It's one of the most important moments in my life.

How are you going to stay sober? Everything else will fall into place, but you darn well better make sure you find a solution to your alcoholism. My question to you is...have you? Your problems can get a whole lot worse (and so can mine).

Congrats on your 90 days. That's a big deal and a great start.

Kjell
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I've had two duis, but not in Australia. I got both of mine in the U.S. (state of Georgia).

It's scary as hell. Both of mine were caused by me blacking out, wrecking/totalling both of my cars, with this last one involving other vehicles.

I could have killed someone. I could have killed myself. What reckless, selfish behavior drinking and driving is.

Sometimes I still can't beleive what I became. A menace to society. I put so many people in danger and just b/c I got two duis, certainly doesn't mean those were the only two times I drove drunk. I drove drunk and high ALL the time and never, ever thought I'd get a dui.

I lost my license for a year, went to jail for a few days, and there are many, many other consequences (probation for 4 years, alcohol and drug testing, and of course lots and lots of money, and more!).

...but the bottom line is it got me sober. It's one of the most important moments in my life.

How are you going to stay sober? Everything else will fall into place, but you darn well better make sure you find a solution to your alcoholism. My question to you is...have you? You're problems can get a whole lot worse (and so can mine).

Congrats on your 90 days. That's a big deal and a great start.

Kjell
Hey, your on a 4 year probation for your 2nd DUI?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Solution well my solution is to keep on my antidepressants, keep taking my antibuse, keep going to D&A group counselling, going to meetings, seeing a relapse prevention psychologist and a psychiatrist and writing a gratitude list everday....... and of course SR forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Sidney14 View Post
Solution well my solution is to keep on my antidepressants, keep taking my antibuse, keep going to D&A group counselling, going to meetings, seeing a relapse prevention psychologist and a psychiatrist and writing a gratitude list everday....... and of course SR forum.
Sounds like you're working a program of action and in my experience you're doing great.

I had to change who I was or the same me would drink again, and again, and again. Maybe this is true with you too.

Keep up the good work and immurse yourself in your recovery. The consequences for your 2nd dui are going to be severe, but they don't have to cripple your life forever.

Kjell
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Sounds like you're working a program of action and in my experience you're doing great.

I had to change who I was or the same me would drink again, and again, and again. Maybe this is true with you too.

Keep up the good work and immurse yourself in your recovery. The consequences for your 2nd dui are going to be severe, but they don't have to cripple your life forever.

Kjell
It is not easy especially with this court thing handing still over my head my solicitor still says to go ahead with the non guilty plea but not too sure if that will work. I guess I just want it to be over and done with so I can get on with my life..........of course sobriety is foremost otherwise I have nothing and it will only be worse..I know what I have to focus on is the now and trust that all will be ok but it is so hard........
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a bit of advice for what it is worth. I would phone the court clerk and ask what their experience is with sentencing, If you know in advance what the panalty roghly will be then you can make a better judgement. I am a Brit and the court system is roughly the same. I got banned for driving with no insurance twice. Once while being already banned. I got a massive penalty with 2 years disqualification, community service, big fine the works. Nearly got sent down. While I was in the court there was a man that was being sentenced for DUI he could keep his licence and had no community service because he needed to drive for his work and he was the sole bread winner (he got a big fine). He made no reference to Alcoholism. If your solicitor doesn't have the experience to inform you properly then I would try the court clerk directly, they know almost everything.

Sounds like pleading non-guilty when the smoking gun is in your hand might **** the court off.

Keep positive and think of everything you already have back, not least of all your dignity.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sidney

I did some research - even tho this link is for legal aid and for pleading guilty, I hope this link may help with general things you should organise, and a basic ballpark idea of penalties.

Are you pleading guilty to a drink driving charge? - Legal Aid NSW

None of us here know the facts of the case - personally I'd go with whatever your solicitor advises...unless you have reason to think you're not being properly represented.

NSW also has LawAccess NSW - a free government telephone service that provides legal information, advice and referrals for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

D
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Dee is right--Ultimately, you are the one who has to live with the consequences, but you are paying good money to your lawyer to advise you, so it makes sense to give weight to what he or she is telling you.

Each individual has his or her own concerns in these situations. One may want it over with quickly, another may want to fight it to the end. Only you can decide what is most important to you.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Lexie........ I know I know I just need to let go and trust that all will be ok and that no matter what I will end up coming out on the other end ...... I will have another chat to my solicitor today and yes he is expensive and it is worth it to fight since I do have kids that depend on me but I am happy with an interlock on my car......even if it would mean for the next five years ....... but then again I would like it to be over and done with have been without a license for the last 5 months.........I looked up the worst case scenario and yes that would be jail but my solicitor says that that would be no way,,,,,so worst case would be home destention or weekend detention etc.........