Notices

Words that hurt

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Words that hurt

Caught part of the Golden Globe Awards last night. Happened to walk in the room as Ricky Gervais was introducing Robert Downey, Jr. He listed his movies and then said - "But many of you know him best from facilities such as the Betty Ford Clinic and the Los Angeles County Jail." This is funny? Really?? I don't care for that meanspirited type of humor, so maybe it's me - but would anyone make fun of someone with cancer?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But was Mr. Downey offended?

I heard him tell the old joke recently:

A 'friend' asks him if he wanted to have a drink at a 4th of July barbecue, he replies, I'd love to, but I promised my wife I'd be home by Christmas!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also read that the host, Ricky G, was quite mean and nasty and that he got some well deserved responses from some of the people there. He'll get his. If not in this life, in the next.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What you say is true, of course, but that's not our society.

Just watch an hour or so of TV and you'll see a bud light commercial showing you how wonderful, witty, and handsome you can be, but only if you drink bud light.

There's millions of alcoholics in the U.S. alone, some in recovery, some not, and some who will never get sober.

Society in general doesn't understand what an alcoholic/addict really is, the hell we go through, the hopelessness, the insanity, and generally speaking...they don't care. They really don't want to be bothered by it. Remember, "they" think 'why can't they take it or leave it like I can'? "They" think 'why don't they just stop before they get drunk'?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hmmm - not sure Sailorjohn - but I do think it's a little different when we choose to make a joke at our own expense vs. someone else doing it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ricky Gervais, no... I don't like him much, too bad he has gotten so much air time... If Robert wanted to joke around about himself... OK, that's his call.

Not to digress... But I really like Craig Ferguson... He cracks me up... He said one night in his monolog that he downloaded Keith Richard's new book to his kindle, but then he had to turn around and send his kindle to rehab... ROFLMAO
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like he was offending everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all just a rather effective publicity stunt.

BBC News - Mixed reaction to Ricky Gervais as Golden Globes host

Usually I can laugh at my own alcoholic predicament but there have been times when my friends and family certainly would not.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can see how it wouldn't bother some but would offend others. If someone said something like that about me, I would probably laugh, but I wouldn't say it about someone else because I have no idea what others are going through and how it might be received. I did see a t-shirt I would like that says As Seen In County Jail, but I'm not gonna pay $30 for self-deprecation.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Ricky Gervais, no... I don't like him much, too bad he has gotten so much air time... If Robert wanted to joke around about himself... OK, that's his call.

Not to digress... But I really like Craig Ferguson... He cracks me up... He said one night in his monolog that he downloaded Keith Richard's new book to his kindle, but then he had to turn around and send his kindle to rehab... ROFLMAO
One of the most amazing, funny, open talks I've ever witnessed, actually saw it live, lying in bed with my exagf, of course it went right over her head.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am sorry, but I feel no sympathy about this. Some people would die to have the problems of Robert Downey Jr. being the butt end of mean spirited jokes at the Golden Globe Awards. With all the problems going on in the world, this one doesn't grab my attention.

I know that some people like to think that alcoholics are similar to cancer patients, but I do not subscribe to this belief. Typically, cancer patients do not leave a wake of destruction in their path which hurts, abuses, and even kills others. Some cancer patients bring cancer on themselves, but I simply cannot compare myself to someone who lost a breast to cancer or a small child undergoing chemotherapy. I am not like them in anyway and feel that it is a slap across their face by comparing my self-inflicted alcoholism to their cancer.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
I am not like them in anyway and feel that it is a slap across their face by comparing my self-inflicted alcoholism to their cancer.
A lot of what you way has merit, but...

What about the alcoholics that are born as alcoholics? Was that self inflicted?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From popwatch.ew.com today:

Did Ricky Gervais Go Too Far At the Golden Globes?

"He trashed The Tourist right in front of Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. He introduced Bruce Willis as “Ashton Kutcher’s dad.” He dissed Charlie Sheen, Steve Carell, Cher, the cast of Sex and the City 2, Robert Downey Jr., and…well, just about everyone else within earshot. In his second year as the host of the Golden Globes, Ricky Gervais more than lived up to his reputation as the go-to guy for off-color Hollywood humor..."

Gist of the article...it invited people to vote on the question:

Did Ricky Gervais's comments about the celebs make you laugh or cringe?

24.39% = Yes, Stars have feelings too

75.61% = No, It's about time someone cut these stars down to size

Unfortunately, people love sensationalism and the ruder the reality tv and awards shows like these, the more people like it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It's a different kind of humor, IMO. I didn't grow up in America and to me it was funny but I kept thinking "Man the americans won't appreciate this" (I live here now).
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
A lot of what you way has merit, but...

What about the alcoholics that are born as alcoholics? Was that self inflicted?
No alcoholic is born an active alcoholic. Typically, alcoholics know that they have a problem for years before they address it. During those years, pain and misery ensues onto themselves and others who cross their wake. Alcoholics typically seek help only when they had enough of self-inflicted pain and misery.

I sympathize with alcoholics, addicts, and people who are close to them. Alcoholism/Addiction is dangerous, destructive, and deadly. However, I simply cannot compare myself to cancer patients, especially ones who's cancer were beyond their control. I have no similarities with them.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
No alcoholic is born an active alcoholic. Typically, alcoholics know that they have a problem for years before they address it. During those years, pain and misery ensues onto themselves and others who cross their wake. Alcoholics typically seek help only when they had enough of self-inflicted pain and misery.

I sympathize with alcoholics, addicts, and people who are close to them. Alcoholism/Addiction is dangerous, destructive, and deadly. However, I simply cannot compare myself to cancer patients, especially ones who's cancer were beyond their control. I have no similarities with them.
Sounds like you've got your mind made up. ...and I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

There is just so much we don't know about alcoholism and much more that I don't know specifically.

I know I did things I regretted, over and over. I know I caused myself and many others a lot of pain and towards the end, I couldn't stop, I honestly couldn't stop... It was the scariest thing I've ever gone though and I regret much.

All in all, I found a simple solution for a very complicated disease. I know I know little and I think there is hope in that way of thinking.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I can't argue with you either Anti.

As far as Gervais...I don't really get too worked up about those things. There are always going to be people that make those jokes, and people that don't understand addiction. At the same time...there is plenty of support out there too for people that want / accept it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, c'mon,

People who choose to be in the public eye assume the risk (read--absolute certainty) that their lives will be splashed all over the media. The bad sells better than the good.

I root for EVERYONE to make a full recovery--even the seemingly-hopeless "recidivists" that have you shaking your head that anyone would risk ANY money making a movie with them. I hope they all get well.

BUT, if you choose to live your life in the limelight, you have to be prepared to deal with the darker side of it. And that means people will take "mean" shots at you and you will be the topic of many monologue gags.

The alcoholism/addiction may not be a "choice" but the lifestyle is.

When people stay sober long enough, the jokes stop eventually as public interest turns to the next train wreck in the headlines.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't believe that making light of addiction is funny or appropriate but you can't control others actions. It would upset me if I was told that I was best known for my substance abuse...at least RD can laugh al the way to the bank.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
One of the most amazing, funny, open talks I've ever witnessed, actually saw it live, lying in bed with my exagf, of course it went right over her head.

This was awesome! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sometimes you need to laugh at yourself sometimes to be able to move on in life. If you take it too serious then you will always be stuck with the same problems.