Notices

Day 3. This is really hard.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3. This is really hard.

I'm so glad to have found a wonderful place like this. I've been feeling very alone until I found this site this morning.

I am on day 3 sober and am experiencing the following: itchiness everywhere, insomnia, night sweats (multiple pj changes last night), and lots of crying. I am hoping it's not like this for long. Any words of wisdom would be really helpful.

(need to dry my eyes now. Job interview in just over an hour...)

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

try some lavender baby oil for the dry skin before bed...the insomnia and night sweats will dissapate in a few days and you will begin to sleep well....there is nothing like a really restful sleep to perk you up.

good luck on the interview and congrats on the 3 days...tomorrow it will be 4!..keep posting and reading....drink lots of fluids to help rehydrate yourself.

lots of people have emotions all over the place until they feel more calm, and you will.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I forgot about the crying! Once you start sleeping again you'll start to feel a million times better, IME. Make sure you're treating yourself well. IDK if you are male or female but I bought new body lotion, PJ's, a nice drink from starbucks every day, a decent mix of comfort and healthy foods.

Even if those things don't feel comforting to you (I know for me all I used to find comforting was alcohol) do them or something like them every day. I felt like an alien or tourist the first few months. Watching how other people seemed to enjoy life. All the things I had deemed lame in my drinking days.

Turns out those non/normal drinkers are onto something.

You're really in the thick of it now. Got to throw it all in the air and just trust that things WILL get better. They really will.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - you're not alone (you have us now). I know that my mood starting improving right about the same time you're at now. The anxiety was the first thing to get better (thank God!). I think it was day 4 or 5 when I woke up and smiled - it felt good!

Things will get a little bit better everyday - so just be patient with yourself and give yourself a little love (and credit for what you're doing - it isn't easy!)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome finallyquitting
Good advice above so I won't add to it...good luck with your interview tho

D
Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it will get better. The first week is the hardest, at least it was for me. But give yourself another week and you should be feeling lots better. If you're still feeling crappy, see your doctor, please, to be safe.

Welcome to the family! I finally gave it up for good over a year ago and it's been the best year ever. (well, after the first couple months of ups and downs, anyway) You won't regret giving it up, I promise.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and advice. I will let you know how it goes. I'm truly hoping for a good night of sleep tonight, but first I'm going to focus on getting through the evening hours. Thankfully my friend is doing this with me. She not having any of these withdrawal symptoms though. Lucky girl!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

everyone is different....your friend may feel symptoms in a couple of days...or not. it's good that you have IRL support too.

try to keep to a good diet and b-vitamin and high quality multi if you can...(take with food)....it will help...I'm a big fan of Smart Water.

IDK how much or for how long you were drinking, but you will improve and feel better as your body flushes out the alcohol.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad both of you are working for a sober life...
congratulations and welcome....
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU! You should be very proud of yourself. For me, quitting drinking is the best / hardest / easiest things I've ever done. I know that sounds contidictary but it's true. My good days are awesome. I wake up feeling great, I get a lot of stuff done, no more lying, deceiving, cheating, etc... My bad days though... are very tough. I didn't realize how hard the hard times would be. The reason for this is during my alcoholic life (last 7 years) I really never had a "bad day". If I was having a bad day, I'd drink it away. So I really never dealt with a bad day without drinking. I'm not saying this to "freak you out". I did get through those "bad days" and I will say that the good days have out numbered the bad one's by at least 3 to 1.

My only advice is to try and mentally accept that there will be tough days and when you're having one have a plan. For me, I go to AA meetings, read the big book of AA, come here and participate, pray to my HP, call another (or many other) alcoholics and ask for help, and beyond that try and stay productive.

What I DO NOT SUGGEST is to isolate, to over think things, to live to far in the future (take it day by day), to try and focus on other personal improvements other than drinking.... For me, recovery must be my only focus pertaining to personal improvement. I wish you the best of luck. You should be proud of yourself. 3 days is great. Hang in there, and keep coming back!!!!!