Interesting article about alcoholism and food addiction

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Interesting article about alcoholism and food addiction

Is Overeating an Addiction? - NYTimes.com
Old 01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fascinating read, thanks least, I won't paste the whole thing in here but these two concluding paragraphs are pretty interesting. I know for sure that my over consumption of alcohol is a choice but then there is that auto-pilot moment, the moment when most people switch off, saying "ok that's enough" or "oh, my body is telling me this is too much" well I don't seem to have that anymore! That is something inside, something built in imho.

Here's the last two paras:

No single gene is responsible for making someone obese or alcoholic, Dr. Grucza said. But people who eat or drink excessively may share critical characteristics like lack of impulse control and the inability to stop once they get started, a sort of “missing stop signal,” he said. Stress is also implicated in both behaviors.

“The notion of alcoholism being a disease can be oversimplified,” Dr. Grucza said. “At some point, it’s a behavior and a choice. It’s just that some people are more vulnerable to the effect of that choice than others. I think the same is probably true of overeating — some people just don’t have the predisposition to find certain kinds of food that pleasurable, or to eat that much.”
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find scientific studies on behavioral issues/problems to be fascinating! And being alcoholic gives me even more interest.