Notices

Addiction replacing Addiction

Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Addiction replacing Addiction

As I near 2 weeks sober, I have realized that I become addict to things so quickly whether it's alcohol/drugs, a tv show, a hobby, and even a person. Has anyone else noticed the addiction replacement in their life? Something you need to do each day because without it you would simply go insane??

I've noticed that I've been facebook stalking my recent ex-boyfriend which is something that I've never done before and almost obsessing. Not in my nature at all to do especially since he is still one of my really good and trusted friends and I realized that I need to get off this computer more often and get out in the world because I am just replacing 1 unhealthy thing with another.

Just wondering if any else experienced this bad habit replacing bad habit?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Su**endering...

Maybe try reading step 4 in the AA Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions book. It may give you some insight into what drives your search to fill that hole inside with one thing or another or lots of things at once.

It was an eye-opener for me. It is available in .pdf on the web, if you don't have the actual book.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ME! ME! I go from one to another! Thats why I am getting into AA and counceling. I want this to be it
Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking I became addicted to chocolate literally I even ate chocolate in my sleep and would wake up with it smeared on my face and sheets...not pleasant, I would sleep with bags of M&Ms on my night stand I rarely ate healthy food it amazes me that I survived. Now I'm "addicted" to working out, I was going to the gym 6-7 times a week but cut back to 4-5 times because I was losing too much weight (I know..tough problem); In between the chocolate and gym I got addicted to crocheting, I would crochet for hours and hours w/o moving or eating, the pain in my hands ended that obsession. Whatever these 'addictions' or 'obsessions' are I feel they are still a thousand times better than than the drinking I did.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I've always had what I guess is an "addictive personality." When I get into a new hobby, I usually go full steam ahead for a short time and then kinda burn out on it. I find a video game I like and I play it until I just get sick of it. Or I'll start to watch seasons of a TV show and I'll watch so much so quickly that it gets old to me even before I get to the end.

When I would find a beer I liked a lot, I would drink it almost exclusively. I go to the same restaurants all the time, and at each one I order the same meal each time. I find a new app on my iPhone and play with it till I can't stand to look at it anymore. I get a new album and listen to it until the songs make me sick. And then I move along to the next thing that I will get tired of in a couple weeks.

Now my addiction is a bit healthier; I cleaned the entire apartment before the holidays because my family was coming to visit, and now I'm addicted to keeping the place clean. When I get home from work, my jacket now goes on a hanger in the closet instead of on a chair or the sofa. After I eat dinner, I place all the dishes in the dishwasher or hand wash them, instead of letting them sit overnight and creating a mountain of messiness. I fold and hang up my clothes as soon as I take them out of the dryer, rather than piling them up in my room and sifting through rolling hills of clean clothing when I'm getting dressed.

So, yeah, I've noticed that I tend to develop "addictions" rather easily. But now that I notice this, I'm trying to become "addicted" to positive things, rather than things that are negative in my life.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
I've always had what I guess is an "addictive personality." When I get into a new hobby, I usually go full steam ahead for a short time and then kinda burn out on it. I find a video game I like and I play it until I just get sick of it. Or I'll start to watch seasons of a TV show and I'll watch so much so quickly that it gets old to me even before I get to the end.

When I would find a beer I liked a lot, I would drink it almost exclusively. I go to the same restaurants all the time, and at each one I order the same meal each time. I find a new app on my iPhone and play with it till I can't stand to look at it anymore. I get a new album and listen to it until the songs make me sick. And then I move along to the next thing that I will get tired of in a couple weeks.

Now my addiction is a bit healthier; I cleaned the entire apartment before the holidays because my family was coming to visit, and now I'm addicted to keeping the place clean. When I get home from work, my jacket now goes on a hanger in the closet instead of on a chair or the sofa. After I eat dinner, I place all the dishes in the dishwasher or hand wash them, instead of letting them sit overnight and creating a mountain of messiness. I fold and hang up my clothes as soon as I take them out of the dryer, rather than piling them up in my room and sifting through rolling hills of clean clothing when I'm getting dressed.

So, yeah, I've noticed that I tend to develop "addictions" rather easily. But now that I notice this, I'm trying to become "addicted" to positive things, rather than things that are negative in my life.
I'm the same way. I wouldn't say addicted, because when I'm full blown addicted to something, like alcohol, my personal life is a disaster. When I have new obsessions, I still function normally, its just all my free time goes towards the new obsession. Once it goes beyond that, like alcohol has in the past for me, it becomes an addiction
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

I too have an Addictive Personality.
I saw on MSN a girl addicted to eating toilet paper! I want my 15 minutes of fame too; maybe if I tell MSN I'm addicted to alcohol? Nah, too many millions of us.
Seriously though, jamdls has the right idea here. Make it healthy (or at least benign) and keep it balanced to where it doesn't adversly affect the rest of your life. Balance is the key. People who find something they don't get tired of are truly blessed. The rest of us jump around and mix it up.