Alcoholism_is_a_disease

Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Alcoholism_is_a_disease

I'm open to other forms of recovery, to other ideas (heck, that's what got me sober), but one thing I just don't understand is why anyone, especially us alcoholics, who say alcoholism isn't a disease.

To me, from my own experience and from what I've seen in others, it's a no brainer.

Alcoholism is a disease. Check out the definition below.

dis·ease
noun, verb
–noun
1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

Kjell
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Does it really matter what it's called? It's a problem that needs a solution. People can and do recover, so whether one chooses to call it an illness, sickness or a disease is just semantics. IMHO
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Does it really matter what it's called? It's a problem that needs a solution. People can and do recover, so whether one chooses to call it an illness, sickness or a disease is just semantics. IMHO
I totally understand your point, but I think it does matter.

Knowing that fact, really helped me to understand why I did some of the things I did, why I repeated over and over again bad behavior (and regretted it), and why I kept drinking and couldn't connect the dots that my problem was that I was an alcoholic and my alcoholism needed to be treated.

I needed to identify what was wrong with me so I could then find a solution.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I'm open to other forms of recovery, to other ideas (heck, that's what got me sober), but one thing I just don't understand is why anyone, especially us alcoholics, who say alcoholism isn't a disease.

To me, from my own experience and from what I've seen in others, it's a no brainer.

Alcoholism is a disease. Check out the definition below.

dis·ease
noun, verb
–noun
1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

Kjell
If one uses that particular definition of "disease" then I agree with you: it's a disease. But often, the term is given a much broader definition and is used to suggest that no matter how long one has been abstinent from alcohol, and no matter how healthy one becomes, one is nonetheless forever "diseased" and in permanent "recovery". Even worse, the term is sometimes completely redefined to mean that one is not just physically ill, but also "spiritually sick" and that therefore recovery is a miracle to be bestowed by God.

So I think that the problem isn't with the term itself, it's with the definition.

OTT
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm just going to stick with calling addiction an illness. There's to much debate stirred up when the disease concept is mentioned. But whatever one wants to call their condition is good with me and as long as it helps them recover...all the better
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

I don't know really know the details of what constitutes a "disease."

I have heard that decades ago a lot of people in the medical community wanted to push the alcoholism-disease issue out of debating circles and establish it as a disease so it could be treated by insurance programs and protect alcoholics' rights by law. In that pragmatic sense I definitely agree with pushing it as a disease.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, the way I feel about it is...if it helps keep one sober by thinking of it as a disease, then fine. What it all boils down to is that each of us, although we share alcoholism, are individuals and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Find what works for you and work it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree Kjell but i like to use illness myself...if someone really objects to the disease concept then it would be more simple to explain it as a mental illness and would one expect someone who is screaming at the moon whilst shouting the world is going to end today to sort themselves out, so why expect someone who has been abusing alcohol all their life to suddenly stop and get better without taking into account that they had some sort of problem in the first place to warrant turning to substance abuse...

The disease/illness concept was very important for me to accept because before that i was convinced that i could do this by myself and i didn't need any help...at the very most i would walk into some sort of lip service relationship with a professional or group and then leave after drinking again proclaiming it didn't work for me...the truth of the matter is that until we accept that we have a problem other than alcohol, a problem in ourselves, then as an alcoholic we are doomed either to a life of suffering or taking the next drink after a period of abstinence...

On that note sometimes i think back and wonder how after the 100th "attempt" to stop drinking did i not see that i needed help...that's some impressive denial!

As for labouring the point of the disease concept...what's the point...you will have as much success with an alcoholic who isn't done as convincing a mentally ill person who thinks they are Napoleon that they are not! If you had told me i had a disease before i was at a point to receive help, desperate and hopeless, i would have called you an idiot?!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I was taught:

disease = 'dis' +ease = inability to be at ease.

Illness = ill + 'ness' = 'ill' as a state of being.

Some people need to have an understanding of alcoholism as a disease
but others are simply looking for something to 'blame'
or some way of being a 'victim' of something they can't control.

I think either approach can be helpful
as long as one remains in a placce of responsibility.

responsibility = able to respond.

Jus sayin.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I'm just going to stick with calling addiction an illness. There's to much debate stirred up when the disease concept is mentioned. But whatever one wants to call their condition is good with me and as long as it helps them recover...all the better
Same Here Zen..
Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I find, I have my own concepts and beliefs. No matter how strongly I believe, or feel about my beliefs, others will have their own. It took what it took to get better. None the less, whatever you choose to call it, there is a solution.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
II think either approach can be helpful
as long as one remains in a placce of responsibility.

responsibility = able to respond.

Jus sayin.
No question this is paramount in recovery or at least it's been in mine.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Disease dis(opposite of ) ease
Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Does it really matter what it's called? It's a problem that needs a solution.
I have gone through many iterations of defining addiction and found the most apropos description "Delusional Thinking".
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting article, I'll be mulling it for awhile. But the gist of it seems to be "it's not a disease, it's a choice". There's the whole debate, right?

I don't think it's true that 'disease' concept immediately "inevitably" makes alcoholics 'victims'.

I am powerless over alcohol....and I am morally responsible for my disease.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am morally responsible for my drinking and it's consequences.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Frankly, I have no idea why this "controversy" about a term is so tenacious or important to anyone.

DSM-IV defines substance abuse and substance dependence as important medical syndromes...

Doctors agree alcohol abuse and dependence are real death-causing health issues. The "disease/illness" controversy is simply, IMO, a waste of time.

I will say, substance dependence is NOT a choice. Substance abuse may be. But again, this distinction still serves no meaningful purpose for, or provides any help for those suffering from these medical conditions...

Don't lose the forest for the trees.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by PaleMale View Post
Frankly, I have no idea why this "controversy" about a term is so tenacious or important to anyone.

DSM-IV defines substance abuse and substance dependence as important medical syndromes...

Doctors agree alcohol abuse and dependence are real death-causing health issues. The "disease/illness" controversy is simply, IMO, a waste of time.

I will say, substance dependence is NOT a choice. Substance abuse may be. But again, this distinction still serves no meaningful purpose for, or provides any help for those suffering from these medical conditions...

Don't lose the forest for the trees.
Yep. In the grand scheme of things, it all boils down to my current condition and my willingness to be responsible about it. How I got here, what caused it, what I could of done different and who contributed to it doesn't mean squat.

Precious time is being spent picking fly **** out of the pepper. If all who subscribe to the disease concept are wrong, what is the consequence? If all are right, who gets the medal? Who got drunk and who got sober by taking a position? I try to stay focused on facts. We all were adrift. We all found this life raft.

Which way we paddlin'?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think that while it might be contested whether or not alcoholism fits the definition of a disease, any meaningful answer is going to be based on objective criteria, not on subjective beliefs and opinions. Kind of a good thing too, in my opinion. If I went to the doctor over a bad case of the flu I would not feel comfortable if he/she was of the opinion that cosmic rays rather than germs caused flus.

As far as recovery goes though, I don't feel like my strategy and mental orientation for getting and staying sober would be swayed if the medical community went one way or another over the disease question. So long as I'm getting pragmatic results I feel the scientific details really aren't that important.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thanks everyone. The solution, of course, is much more important than the problem. That's true with almost all facets of my life.

For me, for this alcoholic, I simply wanted to know what was wrong with me so I could address the problem properly. Once I knew it was a disease and started to learn about alcoholism, my recovery "skyrocketed" as now things made sense to me. I was then able to launch into a program of action.

Again, to each his/her own. I'm happy for anyone who is able to get sober and willing and wanting to help all, even if they have different opinions. Heck, I might even learn something and usually do when I keep an open mind and remain willing.

Kjell