Christmas Tree!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas Tree!

Hi Everyone,

Well I did it, this year I went and got a real Tree. It has been 5 years since I had a real tree. We would go at Christmas as a family to this really cool tree farm, lots of fun, bonfires going, hot dogs, hot chocolate, just a real Christmas fun family outing. Juring one of the worst years, my husband was gone, in jail and I took the boys out to the Christmas Tree Farm, when we got out there walking around trying to find the perfect tree I had a panick attact (I think that is what it was) or I was going over the edge, but it was a terrible feeling of I had to get out of there NOW! We got a tree and I was gone and never to return until last weekend. From that point on I would put a fake tree up, of course I got flack from the boys.

This year the subject came up of getting a real tree and without any hesitation I agreed, I was just fine, not a down thought in my mind and not a sad thought while I was there. The tree is up and decorated and it is so enjoyable.

Things to get better! Maybe not a quickly as we want, but I guess when it is right.

Oh, I am not sayin that fake trees are not nice, just saying that I overcame a bad memory!

Rose
Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rose! Thank you for sharing that, and the positive reminder that when it's right, it will happen.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rose
I hope your Christmas Tree is a symbol of your recovery. Thanks for sharing.
gentle hugs
Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea! Sounds like the spirit of Christmas got the best of you..no smell like a real tree..yum
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yankee

Rose, I totally understand what you are saying. I finally got a tree this year too. (well borrowed it from my best friend who diddnt use it this year) It has been 5 years since I put one up at all. Between my exab and brother/alcoholic/addict both went to prison 5 years ago....Christmas has been not the most festive of times for me. But this year it is different. I feel joy and love. And there is nothing like watching TV in the living room with my Son, some hot chocolate and seeing the tree lights glimmer against the wall.... Good for you on getting over that bad memory. We are so used to telling each other that *I feel your pain* but I am glad to say this time that *I feel your JOY*!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I was always weary about getting to close to a decorated Christmas tree. To many experiences of falling over drunk on to them and knocking them over. Last year I wasn't around one and I had slipped again on Christmas eve. I'm looking forward to having a sober Christmas and new years eve this year. I'm hoping that I'll get to spend some time with my kids this year and going to my Alano Clubs alcothons. Sobriety is a wonderful gift and I intend on keeping it and as they say in the program, I can only keep it by giving it away to another alcoholic.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Time...It takes time...
But then one day we wake up and what used to be difficult doesn't seem so difficult anymore. It must have felt wonderful and liberating to be able to do something you used to enjoy once again.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hey, Cupicake!! :ghug3

Rose, I love a real tree too. But I know this isn't about the tree, it's about you rising above what used to knock you down.

Your recovery is shining girl!!! Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a wonderful story. Thank You for sharing. I'm so thrilled for you! Have a lovely Christmas!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone!

The only thing lacking is the presents under the tree...within the year I have 2 knew pups, so you can only imagine what I would come home to! I am not sure that I mentioned on here that I had these babies. I got the first girly last Febuary from a rescue, she is a Golden Retreiver and her name is Shy-Anne, then this past summer I decided she needed a friend, so I went and got another rescue, he is a Black Lab, his name is Bob. I know this may sound crazy, but these 2 bring me so much joy, they both have such great personalities. She can be timid at times, when it is something knew, she will hide behind me, I think it stems from something from the home she was removed from, but she knows her knew mom will protect her. LOL

I will try and post a picture of them.

Rose
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Hi Ann!!! I sure did miss you all. Sorry I stayed away for so long!

Rose, dogs are wonderful! They bring such joy to a household. My little girl, Bambi, was my savior. She became the distraction I needed. She gave me unconditional love and companionship. She was/is dependable when I couldn't depend on exAH. Enjoy your new babies! I can't wait to see the pics.