You would not believe

Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You would not believe

how gorgeous it is up here right now! I just have to share and really wish I could post a photo or that my words could do it justice...

Fresh snow, and a windy night last night. The roads look like polished glass (OK not fun to drive on, but beautiful). My desk/office looks east so I have a view of the moon and mountains. The sun is setting so the sky I can see is pale, pale blue with a hint of pink above the mountains. The sky is so clear; the moon is the brightest white with valleys of grey, that it looks like it's right here and made of ice.

The wind has blown the snow into small drifts so the lines of the roads, sidewalks, and fences are all soft and gentle. The snow is now in shades of white and blue.

I love winter.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

It is wonderful you can appreciate the beauty of nature, theuncertainty! recently I realized not everybody has the ability to appreciate it... in fact it just a few of us!! its a real gift. Thanks for the description and I am looking forward to the pics
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh, I am jealous! Sounds pristine!
We had only a bit of snow for one day..and it is melting all ready.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

I can "see" it in my mind's eye. Beautiful description.

Sitting down in my Al-anon meeting is the only thing that comes close to the feeling of calm that washes over me when I'm observing nature in all her splendor.

Nature is an important component of my concept of a HP.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Live View Post
oh, I am jealous! Sounds pristine!
We had only a bit of snow for one day..and it is melting all ready.
I was watching the SPEED channel the other day, and the story was all about the NASCAR track there in *******. They started talking about Main Street with Tennessee on one side and Virginia on the other.

I remembered reading here about that, but couldn't remember WHO was talking about it. After wildly searching around I found it was you, then promptly FORGOT to mention it to you.

Your neck of the woods is BEAUTIFUL with all those hills and forests, the program showed quite a bit of local footage of the area.

Coyote

P.S. It's beautiful here as well, it's the main reason we left Houston. Well, that and it's HOUSTON!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my guy is from the Dallas area, Coyote.

I love it here! Now a really good snow would be gorgeous. Hope Uncertaintly does post photos! I can imagine it as I used to live farther north too.

There is something about the sound of a cold frozen winter night also. I loved walking out in it. It is unique. Specially with moon-shine (not the liquor kind)
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I despise winter with every frozen bone in my body, lol, but you sure painted a spectacular picture of it. I am now forced to acknowledge the beauty of the season!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I despise winter with every frozen bone in my body, lol, but you sure painted a spectacular picture of it. I am now forced to acknowledge the beauty of the season!
You know, I used to HATE winter down south here. No snow, just those dark, dreary, cold, damp, windy days. No green any where, most of our trees lose their leaves and look dead. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Then, as I got more into recovery, I guess I started to accept Texas winters on Texas winters terms, or something like that. I started to dress warmer, 'cause I was in and out of it all day, and I started to see the beauty, where before I couldn't. Weird, huh?

I'm really glad to have had this change in my attitude, I used to get really bummed out over those gray dreary days, and there are LOTS of them here in winter. I'm O.K. with them now.

Coyote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know where you are, theuncertainty, but that just about describes it where I'm at, too. I was mumbling quietly about the wind and the snow blowing, and my daughter described it as "snow fairies dancing in circles across the road!" -- and I thought yeah, it really is all in how you see it, right?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, guys. I really wish I could post photos. My camera is down, seems we spilled juice on it sometime back; the buttons are kind of stuck. Bleahhhh. It's the second one in DS's 6 years of life that I've done that to. You think I'd learn. I never had a problem keeping my camera until I started juggling 'extra' hats, mittens, diaper bags, snacks....

Lillamy, I love the snow fairies description from your daughter! Really captures the wind swirling snow across the roads. I'll have to share it with DS and his class. (They have smoke fairies that they catch and give to friends from when they blow out candles.) I'm up in Alaska, BTW.

Live, growing up, we lived about an hour out of town, down a quiet little road. I always tried really hard to get outside before my brother and sister did so I could hear the snow and see everything all glittery. Then they'd get outside and it was no longer quiet enough.

It was a beautiful dirt road lined with birch trees; the snow would weigh the tops of trees down enough to create an archway over the road. And when the neighbor plowed the road, he'd leave a big old snow berm in our yard for us. It would freak our mom out because we'd make a snow cave and she was sure we'd end up burying ourselves. And then we also climbed up and jumped off the roof of the house into the snow pile a couple times (that little trick continued into high school for each of us). I think we gave her a heart attack on a regular basis (and amused our neighbor to no end).

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Nature is an important component of my concept of a HP.
Same here.