What are you giving thanks for this Thanksgiving?

Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

What are you giving thanks for this Thanksgiving?

Time for us to reflect on the positive aspects of our life and give thanks.

I'll start....

My family, inspite of all our diversities, we truly love each other, and have found a way to work through our issues, walking hand in hand and enjoying each others company.

Next.....
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thankful for a warm home and good car. (Live in WA state and we are freezing right now!)

I'm thankful for my youngest daughter and her husband making the trip home from PA.

For the gift of being a really good cook and baker (if I do say so!!) and the chance to create a meal for my family made with LOVE!

For friends all across this country who keep us our their prayers!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for my recovery, and a loving God who made that possible.

I am grateful to have a place to live with running water, heat, and food in the cupboards.

I am grateful for my little 93 Nissan that gets me all over the place, and good on gas!

I'm grateful that I still have enough brain cells left after my addictions to finally complete college!

I'm grateful for both my canine and feline crews. They are my second set of kids and make me smile every day.

I'm grateful for all the folks here on SR because each and every one contributes something to my recovery.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Oh man.

It'd be easier to say what I'm NOT grateful this particular year.

After fifteen years apart -
I have my sons back.

I'm in college.
COLLEGE!
ME!!!!!
And it's going well.

I'm grateful the miners in Chile got out.

I'm grateful for my good friend
at whose house I'm spending the night
and sharing a quiet meal with tomorrow....
see? Even this far into life
we can still have sleepovers...
she's 73, I'm 52...
and we've got movies and games ...

it is still fun to spend the night at someone's house.

I'm grateful for my beloved ******** Stone}}}}
who has been my knight in shining armor
these many years now.
He has supported me through thick and thin
sometimes literally ...
I'm so grateful to have met him here.

I'm grateful for a GRANDDAUGHTER
I didn't know I had until this year
who is carrying on the drama queen tradition
and is also so much like her grandmother
it's really sorta spooky.

I'm grateful for what I've learned from SoberRecovery
and the friends I've made here.

So much so much...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This Canadian will be joining my American friends here as I drive south on your Thanksgiving weekend.

I am thankful to be able to head south for the winter, for my friends, family and for good health.

Happy Thanksgiving Dear Friends.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening

I'm grateful for my warm home, it's about 75 outside right now, the a/c just kicked on!

Grateful to be sober for nearly 5 continuous years, 1st try! Thanks HP.

Grateful for my HP who took care of me long before I acknowledged His/HER/It's presence.

Grateful to be waking up under the same roof as my precious 9yo daughter, who is in the tub, washing her own longish hair without my help (painfully kneeling on tile with my back killing me). Whew.

Grateful for the poor folks who have to work at the "all you can eat" cafeteria tomorrow, where LMC and I will be having our 1st thanksgiving day feast.

Grateful for our adopted family, where we will be having our 2nd thanksgiving day feast on Sunday, complete with a 2mth old baby for LMC (Little Miss Coyote) to make a fuss over......her first adopted cousin.

Full pantry, strong, straight (old) body, damned cat, good running car, unemployment insurance, money in the bank, serenity, time, awareness. Too much to mention.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That I don't have a repeat of the last 2. No more second guessing xah nodding out and having to CONSTANTLY watch him for fear of others seeing what I saw. Is he abusing methadone or is he not, I believe him, but I don't. It's the methadone causing it ~ no it's not. I need to call the clinic and double check. yada, yada, yada

Tomorrow is about my family and my kids. No looking over my shoulder anymore or playing police. I layed that badge down a while ago. SOOO very happy for that! Kids and I are going to stuff ourselves silly and play board games until the cows come home. (though I HATE board games!) but they've got them layed out and ready. I'm happy to finally be free of watching over someone else. Kids can be kids and I can be me!! Just me, my fam and my kids tomorrow. First day I've had off in a long time from work which is a bonus too!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FGB

I'm thankful for my children, 2 girls and 1 boy.
I'm thankful that my son was found in time and lived through his brain surgery.
I'm thankful for my dog, Edie, who makes me laugh every day.
I'm thankful for my 2 cats, who cuddle and comfort me (and fill the litter box for me!)
I'm thankful for my little apt. with it's heat and running water.
I'm thankful for my coworkers, who I love like family.
I'm thankful for my friends and supporters here on SR, who I wouldn't be sane today without!
I'm thankful for my job which gets me by, week to week.
I'm thankful for my divorce which got me away from narcisstic abusive 2nd x husband.
I'm thankful for friends who were there for me, but are gone now, and miss them.
I'm thankful for friends who are there for me now.
I'm just thankful for so much.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
it is what it is

Yesterday i didn't want to open this post because i was feeling a little blue - this holiday is very different from some very full, carefree ones in the past .......... but this morning i awoke to a new day full of God's renewed mercies just as He promised - i agree, even with things so different this year ,that the list of things to be grateful for is far and away longer than any other list and even the first few i may mention are no less important or significant than the one that may end up on the end of that immense list -
so, i'm grateful for:
today
life
God's mercies
my three sons - (as different as they are - i secretly call them "the saint, the sinner and the preacher man)
my two grandchildren and the one on the way
my precious dad
the house to myself this weekend so that my family can be comfortable as they come in to celebrate
my AS is safe and sober (in jail) and seemingly doing all the right things to get a good start on life when he gets out (always said with reservations - but still thankful i can say it)
the beautiful kaleidoscope (sp?) of autumn colors outside my window
my squirrel chasing, bird watching, loyal, happy dogs
my loving, dependable horse, dakota
all of you here at sr who offer hope, encouragement and the occasional kick in the pants when needed
dreams
God's love

Happy Thanksgiving!
debra
Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am thankful......

for a wonderful, supportive, loyal, loving husband of 25 years
for my two children
for my two silly deaf dogs
for my home
for my dear mother
for my brothers
for my son's sobriety
for the snow that dusted the ground last night
for the ability to have my family together today to give thanks
for the lessons I've learned in my recovery
for the lessons I have yet to learn
for my health (as tenuous as it is sometimes lol)
for my life
for my Higher Power
for each breath I take
for so many things I could go on and on and on but I'll stop here and continue my attitude of gratitude all day long.

Thank you for starting this thread, Dollydo. It's always nice to take the time to think of all of the positives.

gentle hugs
Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
work in progress

I am thankful for you all, this place...and the peaceful state I find myself in today.

I am so very grateful to you all for helping me see myself, holding my hand through it all, and giving me a safe place to come.

I'm also very thankful that I don't have to go to Mr.Sofa's parents house today!! Yipppeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love to you all.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
tam

I am thankful for waking up each day
I am thankful for my home
I am thankful for remission
I am thankful for my loving brothers who each called me today (will be seeing everyone tomorrow)
I am thankful for a supportive boss who told me to sleep in yesterday
I am thankful for my job
I am thankful for my loving doggies who bring me love and comfort (Priscilla (RIP), Lisa Marie (17), Presley (13) and Aaron (8).
I am thankful for my HP giving me strength during difficult times
I am thankful for each and everyone of you here on SR, you all truly are the best support team!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am thankful for all my blessings, but most of all today, I am thankful for the serenity in my life and home
Old 11-25-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Ain"t life grand? We all are truly blessed!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dolly
Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am just overwhelmed today with gratitude for the loving serenity in my home. It is so peaceful and drama free. I have been having some health issues and struggles but my guy is such a helpful, cheerful and calming presence in the midst of my storms.

I am so grateful for the good relationship with my parents and their overwhelming love for each other and gracefulness in their marriage.

I am grateful that my daughter is successful and has just signed up for classes at a Buddhist monastery. I am grateful for her good marriage and for her two boys.

I am grateful that my sis phoned the other evening.

I am grateful for the most awesome neighbor couple.

I am grateful to have moved to the place of my choice.

I am immensely grateful for SR and all my cherished friends here.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I'm thankful that I got to see my kids today and that I have such beautiful bundles of joy in my life. That I got to go to a meeting today. That I got to have a long talk with my mother in-law and talk about my current troubles and it made me feel better. I'm thankful that I haven't found it necessary to pick up a drink or pipe for going on 11 months. That I have a wonderful sponsor and great friends that I've met in the rooms. I'm thankful for my local Alano Club because I got sober there and it provides me a safe haven with people I can relate to. For the program of alcoholics anonymous because without it I'd be in one of three places I don't want to be (jails, institutions or death) and my kids have a better chance of having a good father in their lives. I'm thankful that God never left my side even when I turned my back on him for so many years. And I'm thankful I got to stuff my belly today....yummy.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for all of the blessings in my life. Love, family, happiness, health, jobs, home - I could go on forever. In particular, I am very grateful that I found SR, and for all my friends here.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm grateful to live in comfortable conditions compared to so many people of the world.

Grateful for my talents

Grateful for my beautiful daughter

Grateful for my loving, interesting, loyal, and helpful family

For the food in my belly and the clothes on my back, and a bed to sleep on

For my relative health in spite of my personal physical abuses

For what seems like luck in life

Grateful for the ability to make friends easily

Grateful for the fact that I've had the opportunity to curtail my addiction before it destroys my life completely

For the recent opportunity I've been given to make positive changes

For my eyesight, hearing, mobility, and appreciation of nature

I'm sure this list could keep me typing for hours, but these are a few.

(I'm grateful to have found this forum and all the collective wisdom and support contained within)