Staying grounded

Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying grounded

We had a nice weekend with our beautiful grandson. He is such a joy. He's five years old and is such a bubbly, happy child. He reminds me so much of my son when he was that age.

We visited my son at the treatment center and the visits went well. It was the first time in a very long time that I was able to see my son actually interact with his son in a loving and healthy manner. He was a Daddy. And it was really nice to see them together. The hug that my grandson gave his Daddy as we left was such a very long one with his head resting on his Daddy's shoulder. It was a beautiful moment.

It was strange. This little child was so full of energy and laughter. My son's new friends in recovery were laughing at his antics and a couple of them said that they were so thankful that they got to experience that. Many of them are getting off of drugs that leave them feeling like crap.....like they can't experience joy. But they did experience laughter and the joy of a five year old yesterday and it was wonderful to witness.

So what does this have to do with staying grounded? I dunno. But as I was standing there watching them play and giggle, I realized that each one of these people are loved dearly by someone. And I just felt glad that they were all there.....not just my son.

I guess the "grounded" part is that I felt so connected to "the moment". Living in the present minute......not thinking about "what if's" or "what's next". Just enjoying being in the moment with all of those addicted men who want to change their lives. It felt very peaceful to me. I would say it was SERENITY.

I don't know what the future holds but I think I'm getting better at the one day at a time concept. lol

gentle hugs
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It felt very peaceful to me. I would say it was SERENITY.
This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing that Kindeyes.

Beth
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you kindeyes. So glad you were able to have that time with your son and grandson
Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad for your happiness.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
We had a nice weekend with our beautiful grandson. He is such a joy. He's five years old and is such a bubbly, happy child. He reminds me so much of my son when he was that age.

We visited my son at the treatment center and the visits went well. It was the first time in a very long time that I was able to see my son actually interact with his son in a loving and healthy manner. He was a Daddy. And it was really nice to see them together. The hug that my grandson gave his Daddy as we left was such a very long one with his head resting on his Daddy's shoulder. It was a beautiful moment.

It was strange. This little child was so full of energy and laughter. My son's new friends in recovery were laughing at his antics and a couple of them said that they were so thankful that they got to experience that. Many of them are getting off of drugs that leave them feeling like crap.....like they can't experience joy. But they did experience laughter and the joy of a five year old yesterday and it was wonderful to witness.

So what does this have to do with staying grounded? I dunno. But as I was standing there watching them play and giggle, I realized that each one of these people are loved dearly by someone. And I just felt glad that they were all there.....not just my son.

I guess the "grounded" part is that I felt so connected to "the moment". Living in the present minute......not thinking about "what if's" or "what's next". Just enjoying being in the moment with all of those addicted men who want to change their lives. It felt very peaceful to me. I would say it was SERENITY.

I don't know what the future holds but I think I'm getting better at the one day at a time concept. lol

gentle hugs
Kindeyes,
This brought me to tears. I can imagine the beauty of that moment. A pure sweet child, sharing his enthusiasm with those who have not had much beauty in their lives for a while. And as you said, they are loved by someone too. I pray for all of them, that they find their way to peace and joy. I am glad that they are there too. Bless them all.

Your grandson is a blessing , isn't he...
Thank you for sharing this. very touching, Kindeyes.
hugs,
chiciry
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FGB

Everyone has said, so well, what I would like to say to you. It sounds like it was so nice. That makes me happy for you. Hugs, Fgb
Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You lucky lady.
It doesn't get better than a day with your son and grandchild,
appreciating what you have right in front of you
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Embrace the moment. I feel your joy and share it with you.

I worked at a rehab for 2 years and got to see "the person under the addiction" with many of the men there. It touched my heart in a way that I will never forget.

Thank you for sharing this precious moment with us.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

(((((AWWWWW))))))))

One valuable thing I have learned through all this addiction stuff is that it is so very important to seize and enjoy that "moment" of peace and sanity. All good things in life can be so fleeting so it's good to be able to recognize them and appreciate them.

I hope and pray you have many, many more.

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kindeyes, Your post brought tears to my eyes. I was so lucky to learn to have compassion for our loved ones, they are sick but they are still human and deserve love.

It is wonderful that your grandson was there to give some laughter & joy to the others.

And, oh my, I just felt the tears coming as I pictured his head resting on his Daddy's shoulder.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awww...this post brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet little boy!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kindeyes,
What a wonderful weekend with your little grandson and your son. I can relate to how it warmed your heart to see your son act like a father to his son again. I'm sure it was a time of healing for you, however brief the visit might have been. When we've visited our AS in rehab, he has pointed out lots of other men who have also been out of contact with their children. It's wonderful that your son's fellow rehab friends could experience the joy of being around a child again, in all their innocence. I'm sure it was a great experience for your son, that he will re-live many times. Treasure that visit and keep it stored for the days that aren't so great. I'm happy for you that you had a visit with your grandson. Here's hoping that the day will come when the visits will be more frequent, and your son will have more opportunities to try out his parenting skills. No one will ever take your son's place in that little boy's life.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Serenity
Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Thanks for the share kindeyes. It's amazing to hear about the miracles of recovery especially one so beautiful as this. I'm glad to hear that your son was being a "daddy". It's great that we get to live in the attitude of gratitude. It sounds like your son just got some more motivation to stay on the right path.