Notices

Tired of Drinking on the weekends

Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of Drinking on the weekends

I am tired of drinking and it taking over my life. I have to think about my family and how can I beat this? I don't like to think about wine when I get up in the morning and needing that sip or hiding it from my husband and son. It's not fair to them to see me wasting my life.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am in the same situation. My husband and kids don't know the extent of my drinking. However I did make an appointment in hopes to get some help.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi mcdonald2. I saw your other post, welcome! You'll find a lot of support here. I also hid my drinking very very well. Have you tried AA? Have you tried to stop in the past?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Mcdonald,

Yes, it is tiring isn't it? Wine was the first thing I thought about waking up and the last thing going to sleep. It takes over your life. A stinking bottle of wine consumes your life. It should be your husband and son. Get yourself some help. Your the only one that can. It is possible Mcdonald, and very freeing. You don't have to hide anymore. You took the first step, admitting you have a problem. Please get some kind of support and start on the road to recovery.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The fear that I have about going to the AA meetings is that my father-in-law works at the church and I feel that I will embarrass him for going.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Mcdonald, aren't there any other meetings in the area? I know where I am, there are at least 2 in the area each night. And I was so scared of being seen by someone I know, but so far I haven't been, and now it wouldn't bother me as much as I thought in the beginning. Google AA meetings in your city, and in neighboring cities. I bet you'll find a few. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I replied to your other thread but thought I'd welcome you again.

I too was a wino and was blessed to have stopped drinking before something awful could have happened to me or someone else.

As far as AA goes, can you find a meeting elsewhere? And if not, can you get some counseling for your drinking? My alcohol/addiction counselor is a huge help in my continuing recovery, as is this wonderful site.

It would also be a great idea to ask your doctor for help in getting thru the initial withdrawals safely and comfortably. Alcohol detoxing can be rough and dangerous. Be safe when getting thru the w/d.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I don't know anyone embarrassed to go to AA, nothing wrong with trying to improve your life. You have to do whats best for you no matter what other people think anyway.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mac, a reliable, safe way of taking the first step is to see an addiction counselor or a doctor you really like, and ask for help. Confronting your alcoholism and acting decisively to deal with it are pivotal to change. It is important to consider that many people on this forum have succeeded in doing just that, and every single one of them will tell you that sobriety has brought about huge positive changes in their lives. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mcdonald2

I remember how tiring it was - needing that drink when I woke up. You've made a good decision to try and do something about it.

I would see your Dr - it's always a good general idea - and I would check around for other meetings if you feel your local one will not be suitable for you.

You'll find a lot of help and support here - welcome
D