Notices

Danger

Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Danger

Sitting in the house alone, my worst nightmare, it's the afternoon and i'm on day 12, my partner and family have gone to the local servicemans club for remembarance day, but my downfall is i drink in the house on my own and when i start i can't stop!!!! HELP
I've tried making tea, a hot water bottle and watching tv, but my demon thoughts keep coming back.

Nawneet
Old 11-14-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nawneet View Post
Sitting in the house alone, my worst nightmare, it's the afternoon and i'm on day 12, my partner and family have gone to the local servicemans club for remembarance day, but my downfall is i drink in the house on my own and when i start i can't stop!!!! HELP
I've tried making tea, a hot water bottle and watching tv, but my demon thoughts keep coming back.

Nawneet
hello,

you are not alone, there are so many who understand and have dealt with just a situation as yours.
someone is gonna be along to help you, very soon. I am a member here, but have no personal experience with quitting drinking, but have some in dealing with my codependent behaviors. I have to take it a day at a time, just like many others here, dealing with all sorts of situations.

can you do something different for a while? take a walk, call a friend? posting here is good too. lots of support, and experience and hope here.

hang in there. great that you have 12 days! just keep doing the next right thing . glad you are here.
hugs
chicory
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are lots of things to do that will help. Hang around here. Read some recovery-related literature (I like to read AA stuff but there is also a lot of other stuff you can read, go to a meeting if you can find one, clean (I did this a lot when I first got sober), watch a movie, have a sugary snack, pray if you do that, take a hot bath, call a friend who is supportive of your sobriety, go for a walk or do some other exercise.....doing physical things helped me a lot at the beginning.

You are not alone! There are lots of us staying sober every day which means you can do it too!

It is morning here in the U.S., so people will probably be popping on like crazy here soon.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nawneet - I've been sober now for about ten months and I know how you feel. I used to describe my house as the scene of the crime. I got to the point where the only place I could drink was at home, to avoid the consequences of drink driving - most importantly so that my alcoholic drinking wouldn't become known & my ability to drink be threatened. You are NOT alone... but you need to reach out to others who understand to get through this. Posting here is a great start but when the urges are strongest I found face to face contact with others who understand (AA in my case) the only thing that pulled me through the rough patches. Is there an AA (or other support group) group that you can find online or via telephone?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A day at a time
An hour at a time
A minute at a time
is long enough to enable us to stay away from the first drink

Here's hoping you had a nice chat with them when they got back in
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Find an AA meeting, go and sit with people who knows exactly how you feel and what to do about it:-)