My addiction

Old 10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My addiction

I am addicted to cigarettes.

I know how unhealthy it is, I know it stinks and I know it is expensive.
But I am not ready to give it up, don't know when or if I will.

I told my guy when we got together that I knew these things.
He only smokes a cigar as a treat occassionally.

But this illustrates to me that saying we have about allowing the addict the dignity of their choice.

Sorry to say but if he woke up tomorrow and said it is me or the cigarettes, I would just feel bully, angry and sad....but I would probably sit there and watch him pack his bags.

He did know that I was a smoker from the get go. I wouldn't take to being strong-armed about it.

I am pretty stubborn in my addiction fully understanding that it is an irrational addiction and harmful.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The quitting of drugs and alcohol were a piece of cake for me compared to cigarettes. Ugh.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I feel ya.

I found quitting drinking to be easy compared to my efforts to quit smoking. And I, too, would be highly resentful of someone demanding that I give it up.

We quit when we are good and ready, and nobody can make us.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, well I broke my glasses and cannot safely drive. I am out of cigs.
It's not pretty.
He is napping in the recliner and I am pizzed.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's an idea for a small business -- emergency cigarette delivery. I shall call it The Puffer Express.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have plans to give up.
On Monday, not because I'm putting it off, but because my doc advised me to pick a day and do it.
Monday sounds good to me, booked 2 weeks off work to help (I'm allowed to smoke at work and I'm around smokers there too)
I am actually getting my head round it this time, I do want to quit and I know Monday is D-day and it's my choice this time, I'm not being pressured by anyone.

The only thing I'm afraid of is becoming one of those pompous ex smokers who chock at the sight of a cigarette packet. I will do my best not to do that!

Live, if I lived nearer I'd run to the shops for you!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I didn't have a big problem quitting smoking. It's amazing what you can do when your last dollar has to go towards food.

I guess I was hungrier than I was craving nicotine.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

bless, you, Lucy.

I remembered that I had some stashed in a piece of luggage...whew...the man gets to live another day LOL
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, there's that.

Actually, when I finally DO quit, it's likely to be out of economic motivation rather than anything else. The cost of smoking (financially) is obscene. I actually drive to another State once a month to buy them.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't edit my post above!

I mean choke not chock!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Right now, I WANT A CIG SO BAD!!!

I liked smoking, It felt good.

But I want to be smoke free more than I want to be a smoker so just for today, I will not smoke!

Live, I understand.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Yeah, there's that.

Actually, when I finally DO quit, it's likely to be out of economic motivation rather than anything else. The cost of smoking (financially) is obscene. I actually drive to another State once a month to buy them.

I did that when I lived in Arizona. They were much cheaper in Nevada so I'd go across the river to get 'em!
Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I buy the little cigars, menthol...seems to be a way that they are getting around the cigarette tax.
A carton is $9.80
That's less than 2 packs of reg cigs.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Yeah, there's that.

I used to think that too Lexie, every time cigarettes went up in price I'd say when they reach a fiver I'll quit.
Well, they've been over a fiver here for a long time.
What I think finally motivated me is knowing that my Dad, a lifelong smoker is about two points on some test away from empysemeia (sp) he's had a heart attack and a stroke too. He's out of breath just moving around these days, but just won't quit. I don't want to be like that!

I'm 44 next week, still pretty healthy outwardly but I know I'm doing damage inside and have been since I was sixteen. Almost 30 years of volountarily poisoning my own body, it's time to call it a day.

I'm going to shut up now,because I feel like I'm preaching and I really don't mean to do that, I'm just explaining my decision.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I had a chest X-ray for the first time ever about 3 months ago. It was the first time I'd seen a Dr. in about 10 years due to not having insurance. He asked how long I've been smoking, it had been 25 years! HOLY CRAP! That's even hard to type! I started at age 13 and I'm 38 now.

The thoughts about how the X-ray would turn out scared me. I really started to consider quitting again, and that is what keeps me going.

Thankfully, my X-ray showed nothing.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO, Lucy! You are right, of course!

I know the feeling, SylverMag.

I did have a chest x-ray in June...also came back okay.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've posted on the quitting board so I don't hijack your thread anymore Live.

I trully know how much of a hypocrite I was at times with my brother over his drinking.
I would never drink with him, hated what his drinking was doing to his health and his family etc, but I'd quite happily sit and smoke with him while we discussed or argued the rights and wrongs of alcohol addiciton.

But yet, I've gone years knowing my kids and my Mum hate my smoking, knowing it's not good for my health, going outside instead of smoking in the house to 'make it better'

It's just time for me to face up to that, but I assure you for a while at least it isn't going to be pretty at all
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
There's an idea for a small business -- emergency cigarette delivery. I shall call it The Puffer Express.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I do confess to once calling a taxi, getting a driver to call in a shop for cigarettes and paying way over the odds for twenty to be delivered.
It was snowing and the taxi office isn't far from my house but that doesn't lessen my shame at all.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
I buy the little cigars, menthol...seems to be a way that they are getting around the cigarette tax.
A carton is $9.80
That's less than 2 packs of reg cigs.

I quit buying cartons about 4 years ago, and found it was relatively inexpensive to buy bulk tobacco, the tubes with filters, get the little roller the tubes fit on, and make my own.

Then when cigarettes skyrocketed this past year and so did bulk tobacco (for cigarettes), I switched to 'pipe' tobacco because that has escaped the tax too, for now.

Ugh, how pathetic just to keep smoking.

My maternal grandfather died of emphysema. He was a pipe smoker all his life. He lived with us his last few months; I was around 12.

Mom had to help him with breathing treatments several times a day, and eventually he was hospitalized and died. Mom wouldn't allow either of us kids to see him in the hospital. I remember he had that barrel chest that smokers with emphysema eventually get. Breathing was a constant struggle for him.

Still, that wasn't enough to keep me from picking up the addiction.