My addiction

Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

you weren't hijacking Lucy, we were just chatting some.

Your post about your brother is my point exactly.

AND I will need the phone number to Puffer Express tomorrow! LOL
Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I smoked for close to 30 yrs and quit 3 yrs ago this April. I didn't plan on quitting the day I did, but I got up one day and looked at the ex and said "I just quit smoking"

I was on homeopathy at the time for my illness and when I went back to the homeopath and told her I quit smoking, this is when she told me this remedy was also used as a "stop smoking" aid.
Well I quit and never smoked again.

I also need to add, I do have a chronic illness and am studying to be a naturopath so I thought I may try quitting.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

DeVon,

I was doing the roll your own thing for awhile last year...minus the filter tips.

Then I called the police over one day to report a theft....he is sitting there and I see all these "joint butts" by a chair where I had spilled an ashtray and didn't get to it all...I knew what it looked like.
I turned red and mumbled out an explanation.

Which is FUNNY because back in the day I have had the po-po in my home with marijuana and paraphenalia in plain sight and it didn't faze me in the slightest.
Nerves of steel...LOL
I will never forget looking into the face of one policeman sitting in my chair and on the countertop right behind the top of his head was a clear mason jar with my little pipe soaking to be cleaned. Everytime I looked at and spoke to him, I was really looking at that.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I quit a nasty cocaine addiction back in 83, cold turkey, white knuckled it, no program, no support. I quit smoking in 2008 the same way. In both cases I was ready to quit and resolved to do so, would not have happened otherwise. Oh and quiting cigarettes was a walk in the park compared to cocaine. That sucked ass for about two years. Only takes a few days to get over the physical addiction of cigs, then the rest is habit modification.

If you wanted to quit I know you could. But if you're not ready don't even try it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cigs, Cocaine, PUHLEEZE, what a breeze!
How about quitting chocolate! You ladies KNOW what I'm talking about!

;-)
Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by LucyA View Post
I've posted on the quitting board so I don't hijack your thread anymore Live.

I trully know how much of a hypocrite I was at times with my brother over his drinking.
I would never drink with him, hated what his drinking was doing to his health and his family etc, but I'd quite happily sit and smoke with him while we discussed or argued the rights and wrongs of alcohol addiciton.

But yet, I've gone years knowing my kids and my Mum hate my smoking, knowing it's not good for my health, going outside instead of smoking in the house to 'make it better'

It's just time for me to face up to that, but I assure you for a while at least it isn't going to be pretty at all
Your smoking doesn't turn you into a raging insane nutter. I have yet to read about long lived mental issues caused by being raised by a smoking parent. If it did cause it, we'd have a ACOS forum.

Not all addictions are equal.

My Mother was addicted to nasal spray for years and years. I have no mental scars attributable to that.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by Summerpeach View Post
How about quitting chocolate!
I don't have a problem with chocolate. Why do you ask? Sure I keep a few almond kisses in the fridge, but I only had two! My chocolate isn't a problem for me, it only seems to bother YOU! I'm sick and tired of you always making a big federal case about my almond kisses! You spend more money on your dry cleaning than I spend on almond kisses! Why don't you give up bubble baths! THEN you can gimme crap about my almond kisses!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I quit in Feb 2010...now this is the third time I quit, once for 8 years, once for 20 years and now for 8 months. Hard to believe after 20 years all it took was 1 to get me started again.

Many of my friends still smoke, doesn't bother me...however one guy smokes those Clippers, they smell like a cigar, whew they stink!

I always smoked Carletons, they were up to 70.00 a carton...that's why I quit and I could never stand smoking anything else, always too strong for me.

Honestly, I know that they are no good for me...however, I do not feel any different/better now than I did when I smoked, plus I gained 15 pounds..not good for my health either!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What got me to quit this last time(I had quit previously when I got the positive pregnancy test for my youngest child, picked it up again last August when I was kicked out) was knowing that one, there was NO extra money for me to smoke at the time(AH was at annual training for the Reserves, and military pay was screwed up) AND I caught my oldest son stealing cigarettes. I used quitcounter to help me keep track of my progress.

It feels good to get that money off my back, even if there are still days, 3 months later, that I want one really bad. but it's all mental at this point, the physical addiction is long gone.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
I don't have a problem with chocolate. Why do you ask? Sure I keep a few almond kisses in the fridge, but I only had two! My chocolate isn't a problem for me, it only seems to bother YOU! I'm sick and tired of you always making a big federal case about my almond kisses! You spend more money on your dry cleaning than I spend on almond kisses! Why don't you give up bubble baths! THEN you can gimme crap about my almond kisses!

hmmm, choc covered almonds!!! yum!
I like bubble baths though ;-)
Old 10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by Summerpeach View Post
How about quitting chocolate! You ladies KNOW what I'm talking about!

;-)

For some reason, as soon as I quit using, my sweet tooth went out the window. I still like chocolate but not even close to how much I used to!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post

How about this one-completely cut out refined sugars, everything containing refined sugars?!

I took a month-long nutrition class, and it was one of the best investments I've made.

Try reading labels at the grocery store sometime. See how much contains refined sugar (dextrose, maltose, sucrose, fructose). Oh and check for anything 'hydrogenated' in it too. That will clog your arteries!

I cook steel milled oats for breakfast now, and the only sweetener I use is cut-up fresh fruit in it.

Proteins and complex carbs only, that's my ultimate goal 7 days a week.

I feel so much better when I stick to that. It's unbelievable.

Eat something with refined sugar in it, and my sugar cravings kick in. I spent the last two days eating junk, and I don't feel nearly as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

But...I love my sodas :P

I really do.