Trying to figure out how bad it really is

Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to figure out how bad it really is

I'm an alcoholic who's been trying to stop drinking for a long time now. I've been doing pretty good on and off for the past year and am currently sober. I'm posting on the friends and family board because I'm really concerned about my husband and would love some input. My husband is also an alcoholic but he doesn't believe that drinking is his problem. He has been an extremely heavy, daily drinker for years now and began having memory loss about a year ago. About 6 months ago his memory loss became worse, to the point that he doesn't remember much of anything anymore, and he began having mood swings and severe depression. Over the past few months he has become increasingly confused, hands are usually trembling and sometimes his entire body trembles. He has a strange gait and sometimes looks like he is having difficulty walking or might fall over. Over the past month he has begun sleeping pretty much all day long and most of the night - my guess is that he sleeps about 18 hours a day. When he's not asleep he's drinking and picking fights with me and our daugher. He barely eats anymore and has lost a lot of weight. I finally forced the issue and got him to go to the doctor. He said he told the doctor he was there because his wife thinks he drinks too much. The doctor ordered labwork and I saw that the paperwork listed alcohol abuse as the reason for the workup. Anyway, he got the blood work done and the doctor called to tell him that his liver enzymes were elevated. He won't tell me how elevated or what the doctor told him needed to done. He only said that he was referred to a clinic that deals with alcohol issues and that he needs to cut down on his drinking. The radiology department has also called several times but he refuses to tell me what he needs to get done in radiology. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with liver disease and have any thoughts on what is going to happen next with my husband. I'm getting really scared because he won't tell me anything but it seems that his liver is probably severely damaged. Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you have this worry, and that he is increasing it by his secrecy.
I work on the assumption that, if someone wants to keep something hidden, it is not good news they are hiding.

From your post I fear your AH is not going to enjoy much of his life, unless he actually does do something to change his drinking....like stop.

Maybe he doesn't want you to know, because he doesn't want to know himself. That is the ultimate denial, and not as rare as you think.

Frankly, his behavior is saying that he isn't fazed at you worrying and doesn't accept that you have the right to know, as his wife, and living with him.

I fear you have a hard time ahead of you, if he continues this way....if you stay for all that he is bringing on himself.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ditto what jadmack said.

Hopefully you are talking about this with a support group. You can look up the info on liver disease on line or talk to your MD. Doesn't sound good and if you know how to get him to talk to you do what you can.

Think about what you need to do and what kind of support you need at this time.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Liver disease is a baddie. I suspect the radiology is to arrange for a biopsy. From what you have said, based on my own experience with a husband whose liver shut down, he is in grave danger, or will be shortly. The mental confusion, clumsiness, etc., are typical.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input. I agree with everything you guys are saying but it's still really hard to deal with. I know that I can't make him do anything so I have to step back and accept the decisions he makes. Right now I'm looking at apartments for my daughter and I so that we don't have to deal with the fallout from his bad decisions. Que sera sera!