a real british teatime

Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kia

a real british teatime

i have been asked to write down what i consider to be a right good british tea time and well for me one of my favs has gotta be fish fingers and beans on buttered toast with a nice good cup of tea preferably yorkshire tea which is my fav tea so any other brits out there whats your fav british tea time meal?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always thought tea time was a cup of tea with some sort of cream and sugar in it.

We, Americans, don't usually put cream in our tea....and really mostly we drink iced tea.

SO, are you telling me tea time is like dinner time??? with a meal?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh, yeah...okay real honest here..and I get this image of stuffy old ladies being very formally and fakely proper sitting in a drawing room (whatever that is) like a library room? having this tea and trading snippy remarks to outdo one another.

Maybe I have read too many detective books? LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what the heck time is it over there, anyway?
I think you are about 9 hours ahead.
It is a little after 3 in the afternoon here.

I know you didn't sleep well last night.

I haven't slept well the last two nights.

I am thinking about taking a nap.

I could go for some fish sticks (kiddie-kind of food here)
You all have different terms for fish too.

Kia, I do like the way you continue to ask for clarifications. It shows spunk. And you can use that in your own service.
not that I want to go on a big tangent about that. LOL

noooo, not me...I am running off for a nap, since I see you've gone off.

Catch up with you later.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think tea is a meal...not sure what time. We have lunch, they have 'tea'.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kia

Originally Posted by Live View Post
what the heck time is it over there, anyway?
I think you are about 9 hours ahead.
It is a little after 3 in the afternoon here.

I know you didn't sleep well last night.

I haven't slept well the last two nights.

I am thinking about taking a nap.

I could go for some fish sticks (kiddie-kind of food here)
You all have different terms for fish too.

Kia, I do like the way you continue to ask for clarifications. It shows spunk. And you can use that in your own service.
not that I want to go on a big tangent about that. LOL

noooo, not me...I am running off for a nap, since I see you've gone off.

Catch up with you later.
omg live u do make me laugh now its 8.30 in the evening here and no im not a crinkly old lady and i dont sit sipping early grey i dont even like it lol

btw spunk here means something else im not saying what in polite company and i slept too well i cant seem to wake up my bodies exhausted thats what it is i was watching x factor which is on here now and its on a quick break xxxx
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kia

oh, yeah...okay real honest here..and I get this image of stuffy old ladies being very formally and fakely proper sitting in a drawing room (whatever that is) like a library room? having this tea and trading snippy remarks to outdo one another.

Maybe I have read too many detective books? LOL
we not posh so we not got a drawing room i have a living room in which i sit on my sofa for my brew which i drink black with no sugar although i do drink coffee too prefer tea more refreshing and snippy remarks yeh i guess we gossip all women do but its mainly about men
Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kia

I always thought tea time was a cup of tea with some sort of cream and sugar in it.

We, Americans, don't usually put cream in our tea....and really mostly we drink iced tea.

SO, are you telling me tea time is like dinner time??? with a meal?
no not cream in tea too fattening just milk but some have it in coffee i dont though and we do put hot water in it and have it in summer as well as winter nothing better cup of tea in the sun me and dad used to sit in the garden in the sun having our brew i still do it and im sure hes there with me telling me what to do next in the garden tea time here where i live is at 5 o clock although down south its called dinner there very confusing it is one of my exs lives down south and i used to get it mixed up cos dinner for me is at mid day but there dinner is evening and yes i have my main meal then at 5pm tea time some dont but i do except sunday when we will sometimes have it at mid day does that sense cos if it does explain it to me please eh xx
Old 10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I think I might need to start a new thread about what I had to do to FINALLY get the sleep I need and how to get UN-exhausted.

btw spunk here means something else im not saying what in polite company
LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No cream in tea!!! And I agree with kia, it has to be Yorkshire Tea - the Gold version if poss.

Kia, you've opened up a whole can of worms here in terms if British dining conventions. We can't even agree amongst ourselves. A quagmire of class-based definitions and customs.

Tea is the drink. Made either in a teapot with leaves, a teapot with teabags or a mug with a teabag. Milk in first or last is a hotly debated topic. I prefer last when I am having it with a teabag in a mug, but first when from a teapot in a proper china cup.

Tea is also the evening meal, is mainly used in the North if England. Normally eaten earlier in the evening (between, say, 5 and 7) and is fairly everyday cooking.

Afternoon tea is usually a snack with tea from a teapot and a selection of small cakes and/or sandwiches.

Dinner is an evening meal, usually served later, and is more substantial or when eaten at a restaurant. Or, dinner is the midday meal if you use tea as the term for your evening meal.

Supper is either a light snack before bed (if you are a dinner and tea kind of person), or the post word for tea if eaten later, but is everyday type cooking.

Clear? Thought not.....

My fave British teas are things like sausage and mash with onion gravy, fish pie and yes, fish fingers with beans and buttered sliced white bread. But my all time fave British meal is a good roast with all the trimmings (roast pots, veg, yorkshire puddings and tons of gravy). Gravy is not like american gravy.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

What is gravy like then please?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gravy is made from the meat juices, usually thickened with gravy browning, but you can get granules that you make up with hot water. It is usually dark/mid brown and served with roast meat. I love it and have been known to drink the leftovers from a mug. I can't really describe the difference between it and what I have had in the US, but in the UK (and other anglo-countries like Australia and NZ) it is a very specific type of sauce. Someone else might have a better description.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tea to me is two different things.
when I was little I remember mum bringing me home from school and having 'tea' before we had dinner when dad got home from work.
Tea then was teacakes (sort of bread rolls with rasins and stuff, toasted in front of our real fire) and hot chocolate or tea to drink.
Tea now, for me is our evening meal, I still sometimes call it dinner and the kids tell me I'm trying to be posh when I do!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah the evening meal is tea or dinner. "Tea time" is normally between 5-6pm when we have our "tea" which is our evening meal.

I don't drink tea a lot, but when I do it's Tetley with one sugar and semi skimmed milk. Prefer coffee myself with sugar and coffeemate.

Gravy is amazing! Normally had with a roast dinner or sausage and mash. You can also get vegetable gravy granules, so it's like a thickened vegetable stock your pour over your dinner for flavour and to "wet it up a bit" if it's a dry meal. Gravy and chips is fit too!

I'm a vegetarian so I eat a lot of Quorn products instead of meat. Love my veggies though and my favourite meal is a roast dinner which for me consists of a home made nut roast, roast potatoes, carrot and swede mash, sprouts, marrowfat peas and gravy...maybe some yorkshire puddings too.

Other meals...love beans on buttery toast. Love little baby potatoes in their skins with butter and a cheese and onion quiche. Mmm, making me hungry now!

Roast dinner with gravy poured over the meat

Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kia

Originally Posted by Bolina View Post
No cream in tea!!! And I agree with kia, it has to be Yorkshire Tea - the Gold version if poss.

Kia, you've opened up a whole can of worms here in terms if British dining conventions. We can't even agree amongst ourselves. A quagmire of class-based definitions and customs.

Tea is the drink. Made either in a teapot with leaves, a teapot with teabags or a mug with a teabag. Milk in first or last is a hotly debated topic. I prefer last when I am having it with a teabag in a mug, but first when from a teapot in a proper china cup.

Tea is also the evening meal, is mainly used in the North if England. Normally eaten earlier in the evening (between, say, 5 and 7) and is fairly everyday cooking.

Afternoon tea is usually a snack with tea from a teapot and a selection of small cakes and/or sandwiches.

Dinner is an evening meal, usually served later, and is more substantial or when eaten at a restaurant. Or, dinner is the midday meal if you use tea as the term for your evening meal.

Supper is either a light snack before bed (if you are a dinner and tea kind of person), or the post word for tea if eaten later, but is everyday type cooking.

Clear? Thought not.....

My fave British teas are things like sausage and mash with onion gravy, fish pie and yes, fish fingers with beans and buttered sliced white bread. But my all time fave British meal is a good roast with all the trimmings (roast pots, veg, yorkshire puddings and tons of gravy). Gravy is not like american gravy.
u see i blame live for this lol
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
kia

ah yes roast dinners lovely and of course gravy gotta have it and yes yorkshire tea gold one yes if can afford it lovely and i notice live has disappeared leaving me to sort this out lol think this calls for a nice cuppa anyone want one xxx
Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL! I have nothing to add
Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

except now that I've thought about it I've never known anyone have cream in tea. which sounds foul.
"a cream tea" is a pot of tea with a cream cake often a sweet scone with clotted cream and jam, and is probably only eaten on holiday in england esp. devon/cornwall/the lake district/stratford when it's pretty much obligatory and massively overpriced.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have nothing to add either, but am thoroughly enjoying this!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Now I was going to add that when I was in there in '69, in my experience, everything stopped at 4pm for tea and biscuits. What I didn't understand was that things(shops and things) didn't seem to reopen after that making the work day about 6 hours long.... and I thought it was supposed to be a break in the day. Oh well..... guess everything changes. What I thought was funny was ordering tea for breakfast then... everyone thought we had our time backwards... and when we ordered tea with lunch or any other time it some how seemed out of the norm.... didn't understand that one.

Well, it was a nice read! Kia, hope you are feeling a bit better.