Notices

Some really bad advice

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Some really bad advice

Hi all,

2nd week of sobriety here and I just got back from Urgent Care because I have this awful cough that won't go away. So the Dr. prescribed some stuff for me (it's actually bronchitis) and then proceeded to "strongly suggest" 2 shots of dark rum with chamomile tea. He recommeneded this "off the record" as he put it, but he assured me I would recover more quickly if I made this a nightly ritual (!!!) Man o man...if I had met this guy a month ago I would have been
gone on this "dark rum"
I will admit it made me think I had an excuse for about 10 minutes and then I thought about the lame excuse I would give for drinking and I realized NO ONE would believe me. Anyway, thanks for reading and I am committing to cough syrup, antibiotics and my prescribed inhaler and THAT'S IT!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Renee! Add some lemon and honey and I think he prescribed a hot toddy! Glad you didn't use it as an excuse and I hope you feel better soon ...I was sick with one thing after another the first two months of sobriety ....weirdness!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad Dr. is not your regular guy.
I've never had a ddoctor tell me alcohol was healthy.

hope your cough improves soonest.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Renee: Reminds me of the time back in 1975 when I didn't tell my M.D. that I had a drinking problem and I think he prescribed a liquid antihistimine that had an alcohol base. (Anyway it seemed to taste just fine!). Worked very well for my cold but the relapse that followed took me 13 more years to deal with. Even these days I have a friend who seems upset when I refuse, as I do, his offer to put rum in my tea. He's very intelligent (or thinks he is) but he just doesn't "get it".

W.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Oh thanks Doc, are you saying that a case of dry heaves will help my cough? lol."

Way to go on not adhering to this therapy, never heard of rum therapy for a cough, lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorta on topic.. lol
Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Renee.

Reminds me of when my counselor was discussing pain meds that were prescribed for an injury I had and he said - with your drinking history....geez....thats like giving you a bottle of whisky and saying drink 2 shots a day.

I know better now and glad you are on top of your sobriety!!

Way to go.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Way to go Renee!

One or two drinks like my wife does is healthy for those who can limit themselves and aren't recovering alcoholics. I even read the listerine bottle and realized it was almost 60 proof alcohol! Went and got alcohol free mouthwash.

I do drink gallons of liquids a day (substitution) and realized that I was getting way too much vitamins so now make sure they are zero everything, and moderate amounts of the juices.

Sometimes in reading and talking with people I think they say that the addiction/cravings come from within and the sobriety comes from without, if you'll pardon the pun. I think that the sobriety comes from within as well. Sure, external support comes from without, but it only reinforces what is already within us. We didn't lack the strength before we quit, just the will.

We'll have good days and bad days whether we drink or not, things won't always go our way, and it seems that there are always people who either intentionally or not seem to be pushing it on us.

Remember that the definition of an alcoholic from a doctor's perspective is "anybody who drinks more than their doctor does!" <wink>
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WOW! That somehow screams old school, or the school that Itchy alluded to in the definition of an alcoholic!

May I chime in with some healthy, good for you advice? This has worked like a charm anytime we get bad colds ~ it's a recipe for ginger honey lemon tea ~ and it's heavenly for hydrating, soothing sore throats and clearing airways.

Take
fresh ginger root - peel and cut into slivers
fresh lemon - the more the better but to your taste
honey (raw organic is best - Trader Joe's has a great inexpensive one) - add to taste
water enough to fill a pot so you have enough for a day and can reheat as needed

Add ginger to water and bring to a boil, turn the heat to med/low and continue to cook for 20 minutes or so. Add lemon and honey to taste. Enjoy!

Great job on sticking to the other alternatives you mentioned. I hope you feel better soon!

Be well,
LL
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's only bad advice if he knows you're an alcoholic.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually I think any Dr who prescribes rum medicinally for anyone is pretty much stuck in the 19th century.

D
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yuck
Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well Done Renee. Congrats on your 2nd week also!