Notices

Day 2

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Just joined this place is great. Yesterday I woke up and decided I was killing myself. Found an AA meeting at noon yesterday and I was amazed how many people were there and all like me. They were so nice and so honest about their problems.

Anyway on my way to my second meeting in an hour. Yesterday I had some bad cold sweats, haze in my head. Slept o.k but woke up every hour or so sweating. I am feeling better now but still foggy and anxious, I keep going for walks.

So excited I made this decision and to my amazement I had no problem at the beginning of yesterdays meeting anouncing "My name is David and I am an alcoholic.". I know it is true and will beat this. Got the "Big Book" .

Spent many hours on here and it helped me get through yesterday first day sober in months.

Thanks Everyone.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

Congratulations on taking action for your drinking. That's a huge step.
Isn't it great to say, "I'm me, and I'm an alcoholic" to a room full of people with the same malady. It's very freeing.

I hope you find this place a good adjunct to your sobriety.

Keep at it!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Deak - You will find plenty of support here. We definitely get it.

Way to go on getting to a meeting and starting a program of recovery. I struggled many a time on my own until I accepted that I needed to change my life and I needed help doing that.

I found sobriety to come much easier when I admitted to myself that I was an alcoholic and then it was simply a matter of what to do next. Everything does come in time and sobriety is amazing.

I am a better person now and I live a far better life then I could have imagined.

Looking forward to the journey~~
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations and Welcome David.....

You certainly are off to a good start for a sober future.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I hope you win this battle - there are many resources available. And good for you for jumping right on in with the meetings!

Ditto with what ghostlight said. My first night I said hi i'm *** and i'm alcoholic.
The next time I went I said hi i'm *** and I'm a recovering alcoholic.

Now I say: I'm **** and I struggle with alcohol.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR deakanutz
congratulations on your decision

D
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulationgs. It is not easy to decide to quit drinking and it is not easy to go to your first meeting, and you have done both. Keep working on it, and you will find sobriety can be yours and you are worth it!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! One thing I have found in the meetings so far is I get very very emotional and teary eyed listening to the shares. There is no way I can share yet I wouldn't be able to speak. I think it's cause most of the shares are just so scary similar to mine.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.

You have made a wise decision. Living sober is so much better than drinking. Much less risk of horrible things happening. I'm glad you've got supportive meetings to get face to face support and ideas for staying sober and being happy about it. I'm closing in on a year and my life is better than I'd thought possible. Living sober rocks!

Don't worry about sharing or not sharing yet at meetings. Your time will come to share and you'll feel good about it when it does.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you've joined us! It's not easy to face our alcoholism, but once we do, we find that we're not alone anymore. It's great that you're getting lots of support - it's made all the difference for me! Keep posting and reading - and remember: one day at a time!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone the support here and meetings is what is gonna get me thru this. I love to hear how being sober has made lives so much better. I know when I would go 30 days on my own sober because I wouldn't admit I had no control, but I would feel so freaking great and powerful. My gym workouts were great etc, then because I am an alcoholic I would treat myself on say a friday with a fifth and then into the black hole I would go and drink everyday for months on end. I will not go back, I now admit cannot drink again period.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome David Glad you're here.

I remember those "mini-sobriety" stretches well--I thought I had conquered my drinking problem. I never understood that obsession was part of the problem.

The great thing about finally acknowledging my alcoholism, all that denial disappeared.

Thanks for sharing. Keep on keeping on
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more, the first day I marched my ass into the first meeting and anounced "I am DK I am an alcoholic" it felt so good like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. On day 4 doing well, went to gym getting ready for meeting. Thanks for all the support of SR it is great.

Originally Posted by Draciack View Post
Welcome David Glad you're here.

I remember those "mini-sobriety" stretches well--I thought I had conquered my drinking problem. I never understood that obsession was part of the problem.

The great thing about finally acknowledging my alcoholism, all that denial disappeared.

Thanks for sharing. Keep on keeping on