Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Drinking dreams

I have had drinking dreams during other periods of sobriety but didn't find them upsetting. I woke up feeling relieved.

This time I am feeling differently. Like I've really accepted that I can't drink again, ever. And I'm plagued with them. Last night it was booze mixed with some vicodin. In my dreams I'm in the exact mindframe I used to be. Including the underlying guilt.

I wonder if maybe I'm reading here too much. Maybe I need a break or something. They are really upsetting me.

If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Naw..... yer not reading too much into them....they're supposed to be upsetting.

It's one thing to have them when you don't really plan to stay sober for good. If you've made that decision though, and you have a dream where you go back out, it's going to bother you. You're (in the dream) giving up something that's dear and important to you. If sobriety wasn't a big deal, those dreams wouldn't bug you at all.

Soooooo, they're bot a curse and a blessing. They stink, but it's a good indication that you feel the way you do when you wake up. It shows that you're serious and that sobriety is important to you.

They'll slow down eventually. I still get them once and a while at 3+ yrs in. I maybe had 3 or so last year. Once I realize it was a dream, and I calm down, AND get over the shame of thinking I went back out.......again..... it usually becomes apparent that I've been slacking in working my program. Not that I was necessarily close to going back out in real life, but more-so I was coasting a bit too much. Those dreams are usually a good kick-start to get myself dug a little deeper into recovery....which is a good thing.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SSIL75

I decided way back in the beginning just to treat them as nasty dreams.

I drank and drugged for twenty years so it was natural I'd probably dream about it, and in very great and minute detail. It's unsettling...but it's not real.

I figure it's what I do when I'm awake that counts, right?

D
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

I,ve been sober for over 10yrs and still get them dreams , and thats all it is just a dream .. alcohol will come at you any way it can, yep, even in our sleep , but glad you talked about it
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I may have had several
dreams where I actually
drank in early recovery.

All the other dreams where
alcohol was involved, my
program was there to protect
me. I was confronted with
a drink and used the tools
and knowledge I learned
day after day to avoid the