Notices

A Little Nervous

Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Little Nervous

I am going to have my blood work done tomorrow morning. First time in a long time and it will be to check my liver function.

A little scared what numbers will come back.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sure you'll do fine. The liver is one of the best organs we have! It can do it's job even tho it is 3/4's scar tissue from abuse. As long as you stopped while it was still working, odds are, you will do and be fine! Keep your mind _Positive_!!!
...Mike
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

G'Day Carrie,

I had mine done in mid-Dec last year and one particular liver enzyme was very high. After being sober, eating right and exercising for about 3 months (another false start unfortunately, but that's another story!), I had another done in early March this year and everything was within normal levels! So don't worry if you're in early sobriety and they're a little high (or even extreme) by staying sober and eating healthy you'll be right in no time.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for that, definitely made me feel better :0

Went and had my blood taken so we shall see!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending you good vibes Carrie.

Know that liver enzymes will shoot through the roof if you were drinking when the blood was taken. Yahhhh....learned that so always best to be honest with the doctors. I say this only because that happened to me.

I found that by getting sober that much of my health has improved dramatically. Wish they would post all that on those darn bottles.....would've been encouragement to quit sooner.

Huggs and keep us updated!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, this is day 19 sober for me, im hoping that will be reflected in my blood tests!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good stuff! Since my drs have all my blood work for the past few years it is amazing to see all my numbers back at the height of my drinking slow down when I was cutting back/moderating (yeah...like all good newbies I had tried slowing down first...lol) and then actually return to normal.

Thankfully nothing has shown up here but the blood work alone showed the damage the alcohol was doing.

Can I just say that isn't it awesome to check or say no to using alcohol...Love that part.

Sending good vibes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carrie, prayers for you that all is good! if you need anything i'm right here hugs
Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bob

Hi Carrie,

I'm in the same boat as you, getting my blood drawn Saturday morning.

I had been putting this off for more than 3 years, I was fearful that the results would force me to cut way back on my drinking. I had been going every 3-6 months to keep an eye on my cholesterol, but then heavy drinking got in the way of this.

But, now its time to see how much damage we caused to our bodies... hopefully we quit in time.

I do think its going to be easier to lead a healthier lifestyle to improve any damage done now that we're out of our alcohol induced haze.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck, but the liver does heal. I had Hepatitis, and its gone now, that was years ago but from what i can remember if ur liver is in bad shape, dont eat meat or take the pill. I'm sure you'll be fine, because when i had it I was sick. But if it is high ask your doctor about what you can eat and any medications.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I was at the doctors the other day (due to some symptoms which I was assuming are hormone related) and he's told me to go and get some blood tests done.

He gave me 2 envelopes to give to the nurse for the blood samples, and ticked some boxes for things he wanted to check for. I thought 'oh shite' when I saw the Liver Profile box had been ticked.

Strangely enough I've never really thought about any physical damage due to drinking (must just block it out of my mind, the same way I do with the ciggies).

But, I'm not going to think or worry about it. I'll go and get the tests done when I'm off work next week, and just hope that everything will be fine and that I've not done too much damage to my body.

Anyway, hopefully yours come back normal and everything's fine for you