Notices

Advice and Help Please

Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice and Help Please

To all,

For the last 15-18 years I have not gone one night without drinking a 1/2 bottle of Jim Beam. I'm 40 years old 6'4" and 200 lbs. I work out 6 days a week and eat extremely healthy. Sunday was my last sip of alcohol. Today is Wednesday and I'm doing OK. The DT's were moderate and they are going away. I'm taking some herbs and some vitamn B and drinking lots of water. I'm also taking Melatolin to assist with sleeping, but I still don't sleep. I can live with that as I know it's very common.

My biggest problem is sweating at night. I'm only getting about 2-3 hours a sleep per night by I constantly sweat. I have to change my sheets every morning. I know everybody reacts differently, but can any body give me a gauge when this will stop. I don't sweat during the day. I get a little clammy, but not much. I have had a sore throat which may be strep throat so I would imagine that may contribute as well, but I don't feel like I'm running a temp. If this persist I will see my ENT for examination. Any thoughts would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! For me the sweaty night ended around day 4 or 5....don't really remember. If you are concerned you should check with the doctor. I got sick a lot my first month and a half sober....which was weird because I never got sick when I drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney :-)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Redfish

I thinking sweating is common to nearly everybody.
Like you say, it varies in each case - for me I sweated excessively for at least a week

If you're worried or if you come to think it's been going on too long, please see your doctor.

Welcome to SR
D
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think given how much you've been drinking, and for so long, a trip to the doctor is in order.

Incidentally, your reference to "DTs" is a little inaccurate, I think. You seem to be referring to withdrawal. DTs (delirium tremens) are severe withdrawals, characterized by hallucinations and severe shaking/seizures. DTs can be fatal.

Milder forms of withdrawal (slight tremors, sweats, overall discomfort) aren't DTs.

Hopefully you are over the worst of it, though you might feel uncomfortable for a few more days. The sweats should let up in a few more days, max.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your advice. Your right, it's not the DT's. Just tremors. The sweats were a lot less last night and I'm feeling a little better each day. Anxiety kicks in sometimes and when it does I just go for a run or the gym. It helps.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you on making a wise decision to cut out the alcohol, a bit of night sweats is a small price to pay for the huge benefit you receive by living a cleaner healthier life.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Redfish....Didn't even read the responses here. I suggest you involve your Dr. to be on the safe side here.

All the best.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sweating is oke I guess...my first three nights or so my bed was soaked when I woke up...it are the toxin leaving your body....

If it continues tough...perhaps you should check with ur doc....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My night sweats stopped by the end of two weeks. It may have been worse for me because I was having anxiety attacks during the withdrawal process that would end in a cold sweat.

I distinctly remember the first morning I woke up dry and immediately thought: Victory is mine!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to think that I was always hot and sweating because of peri menopause (its partially that) but since I stopped drinking..it's been 4 days/nights since i've had hot flashes..

I am sleeping pretty much through the night..something I hadn't done in a long time.

I take Valerian during the day and Melatonin at night..its really helped.

Congrats on making this choice for yourself!!