Notices

Honesty and Humility of your past brings Great Things

Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty and Humility of your past brings Great Things

Well folks,

Today I had yet again another scenario right out of the big book-and in a GOOD way too. Today, as I sit here at 266 days sober I cannot believe all that has changed in my life, and it has all been for the better.

Sometimes its hard to talk to other people about our past. We may have hurt them, embarrassed or dissappointed them. Or, it may be humiliating or difficult for us to share our past. But, good always comes from it. In my experience in working the steps, or just talking with folks-whenever I am honest and humble about my sobriety and how I got here, the benefits in my life are too many to count. I know I am an extremely lucky person, and I am grateful for all the gifts I have been given in sobriety.

Today was another one of those experiences. Since getting sober, I have been involved in school again, working on a degree that is going to require state licensing. I found out that to be state certified, I need to pass a part of the test that deals with background-and substance abuse. It turns out that my asnwering affirmative on that question could lead to some harships in becoming certified.

Today, I had to go in front of my ethics group at the school and explain my circumstances, and why I should be ok for now to be licensed by the state based on changes in my life etc. I have been struggling to come up with how to summarize all these things, and today it all came out clear and well expressed. And, instead of worrying about how the outcome would be, I was given great feedback by the folks and told that the fact that I disclosed all the stuff with such honesty negated any bad effects of my past.

What a relief!!!! So, all the hard work that went into my sobriety, and the hard work that went into my schooling in sobriety was all for good cause.

Honesty and humility is sometimes hard, but its always truly rewarding and makes me feel stronger in my sobriety.

All the best
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more!!!! Being open and honest and quite simply telling the truth is so freeing. Obviously there is a time and a place and it's obvious to whom further detail needs to be divulged but I agree totally that by being honest then people can't hit you with anything that they've dug up on you. You're only as sick as your secrets (I used that philosophy in my recovery and it is so true)

I've found that in my sobriety and recovery then people can tell if you are happy and rocksteady on your path. They can tell that you've lived the life and are now living a different life after seeing the stark reality of the other life. There is no glamour in alcoholism and addiction.

It just shows that by living one day at a time and not projecting outcomes into the future then you got the reward. I have found that to be the case and I have trusted in the process. I could have worried about outcomes and wasted all that time worrying and stressing but I just was honest and true to myself and it worked out naturally.

Great to hear you share mate.

Peace
Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations HIgby

D
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super......
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's super!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great story and a testament to others. You never know who you could have helped today. Someone, just like us, might have been listening. Today might be the start of their journey.

I'm new here. Been free of Xanax since August 25th. My life is whole again.

I have only shared my story (outside of family) to very few. I know that as time passes, I will be able to talk about it more. I know that people can see that I'm different, that I'm "new". I look, feel, and sound better.

Congrats to you on your ability to be honest. Good luck with your studies and future career!