I Really Need Help With my Mom

Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Really Need Help With my Mom

My Mom is an alcoholic, she drinks non-stop, and about 5 weeks ago she got a DUI and her court date was this morning. She missed it to drink again, so now she's drunk and has a court date missed. She constantly drinks and yells. Last night I went to church and I had to walk home at 8:30 last night, which was pretty scary because someone got shot across the street from it a couple months ago, I just want her to stop, she has been drunk on countless important events, including my sister's moving-in day to college, can you please give me some info on how i can influence her to stop?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh boy, I am so sorry. You can't get your mom to stop. I know that's not what you want to hear, but its the truth. How old are you? I would suggest going to alanon or alateen depending on your age. It can help you keep boundaries and focus on yourself. I'm kinda concerned about your safety..do you have anywhere to go other than your moms house?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gosh,
I am sorry that your life is so tough. I went thru that with my mom, when I was at home.
The truth is , you cant make her stop drinking. She is gonna have to want to stop. That usually takes the consequences of her drinking to make her miserable. She will have to deal with the missed court , and the charges from that. You cant fix those things. I know it hurts, a lot.

You can however, make your own life better, by going to al-anon. You can find meetings almost everywhere. It will give you strength, and much support. and keep coming here, to get some great support too.

Please be safe. And do you have any family members who can be there for you?
I am saying a prayer for you, and for your mom.

You may not think a meeting can do much, but it can make all the difference in the world for you. You have been living some sad stuff, and need some help here.
God bless you,
chicory
Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To echo the others, none of us would be here if we had any power or influence over someone else's drinking or drugging. Accepting this is hard work because we care about the person.

Alanon and Alateen are both good resources that can teach you the tools of coping with an alcoholic/drug addict.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aww sweetie - how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

This is a lot to take on. Have you got people you can confide in?

Has your sister moved away from home to go to college? I hope you are both in regular contact and she knows what you are going through.

I think the best thing you can do is involve others - is there anyone at your church you could talk to? You also need to look after yourself first. Make sure you sleep enough, eat healthy food etc etc.

Please know that you are not on your own.

xx
Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, JesusSaves,

You have come to a really great site for support and some learnin. We really do have to learn how to help the alcoholic, and what you hear will very possibly surprise you. But we've been at this for awhile, most of us, and have a lot of experience to share with you.

Are you underage? Is there someone else you can live with besides Mom?

Wecome to SoberRecovery. I hope you stick around for awhile.