Notices

I stopped praying for sobriety.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I stopped praying for sobriety.

LOL.....blasphemous right? It even says to do it in the BB if I'm not mistaken. But recently, past couple months maybe, I've stopped thinking "God, please keep me sober today," when I say my morning prayers. Sometimes I say it out of habit but I've started "pulling it from the rotation" so to speak.

Look, I don't want to get drunk....believe me.....but I heard something that intrigued me recently. It has to do with TRUSTING God. Remember that part in We Agnostics where they ask us to decide if God is everything or nothing? Well, if I choose everything....and I'm going to live a life based upon His will....who am I to determine what His will is?

What if God's will was for me to relapse for a couple days (or weeks.....or months.....), come back to AA and be able to carry a different message to more people than had I not relapsed? That's just one option but hopefully you guys get what I'm trying to say.

I've done a lot of praying for some guidance and I did a lot of meditating when the answer came to me - try it....stop asking God to keep you sober...if you trust Him to run your life you should probably trust Him with your sobriety too.

Anyway....thought I'd give you guys something to think about. Please feel free to share your thoughts bluntly. I'm a big boy.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well you hit the nail on the head for me....if there but for the grace of god go i...then perhaps it isn't gods will that everyone get sober....

This really hits home with me today.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What if God's will was for me to relapse for a couple days (or weeks.....or months.....),
LOL

God wants me to be rich too but it aint gonna happen if I don't do something about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I forgot a key element..... I DO pray for knowledge of His will for me, for the ability to hear/understand it, and for the courage and the power to follow though on my end of the bargain.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know, I think I know anyway, what you are getting at. Maybe God figures that once we've aligned our will with His, we can get on with things, like let's get past square one... We've been relieved, through His grace, of our obsession... So maybe there is more to this than just not drinking ...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

....stop asking God to keep you sober...if you trust Him to run your life you should probably trust Him with your sobriety too.[/I]
What? That would contradict what the "Akron Guide to the Twelve Steps" pamphlet says. How heretical is that?

Then again. It corresponds with what Clarence Snyder and Chuck Chamberlain had to say.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It even says to do it in the BB if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe, but I'm not aware of it.

I haven't asked for that since I was a few weeks sober. Then again, I'm not much into intercessional prayer, asking that my will be done.

I hear ya though, DayTrader. So what if my outcome is not what I would choose? I've either made that Step 3 decision or I haven't.

I don't think Christ thought too fondly of his time on the cross either, my friend.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
...... Maybe God figures that once we've aligned our will with His, we can get on with things, like let's get past square one...
Emmmm, not really.

More like (and this is tough to explain on a keyboard) I used to pray for God to get me out of trouble - turns out that trouble led to AA and was really a blessing. I used to pray to keep my marriage in tact - she left and neither of us could be happier now...another blessing. I used to pray for a lot of things and all those "wishes" turned out to be the opposite of what I needed.

So, we've established I don't always know what's best for me. That's cool.....cuz i have this really cool God to go to for leadership and strength and all the stuff I need......only I don't know what I really need.... so I quit asking for "stuff" in my prayers. Then it hit me, I'm still asking for something "I want" - to stay sober. That's something I want....bad.... but if I've got a new employer and I'm not in charge anymore and I've got this God who's all knowing all powerful and HE knows what's best for me.......why am I asking for ANYTHING other than know and to be able to do His will - whatever that will is? And believe me.... I rarely know what God's will for me is....and a lot of the times when I do, I'm afraid to do it and/or darn near powerless to follow through.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I rarely know what God's will for me is....and a lot of the times when I do, I'm afraid to do it and/or darn near powerless to follow through.
'praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.'

Perhaps I'm given the power to do the things that are in God's will?

And for the not-so-Western-religion-inclined like me, I don't get bogged down in figuring out the master grid plan that some omnipotent being has mapped out for me. I seek, and the intuitive direction reveals itself. Unblocked from me, my desires and wants, God comes rushing in.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
'praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.'

Perhaps I'm given the power to do the things that are in God's will?

And for the not-so-Western-religion-inclined like me, I don't get bogged down in figuring out the master grid plan that some omnipotent being has mapped out for me. I seek, and the intuitive direction reveals itself. Unblocked from me, my desires and wants, God comes rushing in.
Yeah..... I guess we do Keith (darn it!) I sure forget to use it though....or don't know to use it maybe? I'd argue we also have plenty of power to do stuff outside God's will....and it's the misuse of that power that lands us in trouble. Free-will stuff, ya know?

.... I do also pray that everyone else out there is made aware of His will for them and that they have the power to carry it out.... I mean, I can't have any of "those heathens" screwing me over out of ignorance!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DayTrader,

I have 15 days today, so I have all the answers. Just pm me and I'll set you straight, lol.

Actually, I ani't got a clue, lol.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I've done a lot of praying for some guidance and I did a lot of meditating when the answer came to me - try it....stop asking God to keep you sober...if you trust Him to run your life you should probably trust Him with your sobriety too.

Anyway....thought I'd give you guys something to think about. Please feel free to share your thoughts bluntly. I'm a big boy.
Well, its all about a God of our own understanding, so if that is how it works for you, then as long as your being honest with yourself, you're good to go. For me, every chance I get to remember to be grateful for my sobriety in my prayers and meditations i always do so. I don't ask my HP to keep me sober word for word, I simply thank Him for already doing so time and time again. Without the spiritual remedy I'm lost, so the idea that I would "stop" asking my HP for anything that has to do with keeping my sobriety is a place I would not want to venture whatsoever. That is to say, I don't have any "limits or dont's" in my prayers with God. It's really up to Him what He wants to do with my prayers, I don't really worry to much about what I want from Him. I pretty well want everything anyways It's all good whatever He does or does not decide in His relationship with me. He beats out the drumbeat of my sobriety, and I walk to it best I can with humility and gratitude for my experiencing a loving relationship, of my own understanding, of and with my own Higher Power.

Rob
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't mind how you pray ..or even if you pray.
It's a non issue for me DT.....
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
DayTrader,

I have 15 days today, so I have all the answers. Just pm me and I'll set you straight, lol.
D....... that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...... LMFAO.

thanks for the laugh brother!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Great thread--thanks, everybody! You all gave me some good things to think about (as usual).
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think in the early days (so long ago;-)) i did pray for sobriety long enough to work the steps and change...since then it is a prayer of gratitude...i will be anywhere and just say wow You are a miracle worker thanks so much for this gift i couldn't be more grateful, You rock...that kind of thing...it won't be dependent on any event or person, i just feel very grateful and like to acknowledge that...im either recovered or im not:-)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

hi DayTrader, interesting post! you make me think, im a wife of a recovered now relapsed A, when I was young I prayed for his sobriety and even now today I still do, yet, it took 10 years for AH to get sobriety, kept it for 8 years, I doubt he prayed at all for GOD to help him keep it, in those years, I dont think i did either, now, he has backslidden and been relapsed for 3 years, he was an avid Christian, now drink is his master. So i suppose im saying, rather ask GOD to keep you doing his will and not letting Satan get any foot hold, because, 1 drink and all is lost... My understanding is, GOD doesn't need our help at all, but, HE desires for us to ask HIM and speak to him about our everyday lives, so we can form a close relationship with HIM. Perhaps instead of asking GOD to keep you sober, pray to HIM with thanks for all HE is and will do for you. Every thought directed to heaven is a prayer to GOD HE hears all our sighing and knows our every need! Well done on your sobriety!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

.... I rarely know what God's will for me is....and a lot of the times when I do, I'm afraid to do it and/or darn near powerless to follow through.
"Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."
(page 77)

If you need more explanation, see Matt 22:37
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I do not pray for sobriety today because I have it.
When I was new,I did pray for sobriety.
I do pray for the knowledge of His will for me and the Power to carry it out.
It is about sanity today,and if I stop praying and living steps 10,11,and 12,I will eventually lose my sanity and then I will drink.Steps 10-12 consist of some praying....
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
If you need more explanation, see Matt 22:37
I guess I meant "specifically...for today, this week, this month, etc"

I want to see the playbook - doesn't work that way though.