watched some old family videos today

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

watched some old family videos today

I was cleaning out the storage area and came across a box of old vhs tapes, from about 20 years ago. Tapes made of us when the kids were little tikes... and I and my XAH were young and he was still a healthy man.

I sat and watched a few of them. It was like a walk back in time. He was healthy, not yet an alcoholic. Full of life, smiling and the charming man I remembered being in love with. The kids were little, both under 5, and watching the three of them together was nice.

I couldn't help but feel some sadness too, realizing what alcohol did to our family, and how it ate away at my husband, little by little.

I marked them, so that if in the future my boys come across them, they'll know what is on the tape, watch them and maybe have a few good memories of their dad.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That must have been tough--but as you said, good for your boys. You have happy memories, and that's a blessing.

At this moment I'm on a business trip watching Extreme Home Makeover--the dad on it has ALS and will be dead in 2 years, with a small family.

It reminded me that there are NO guarantees in life and any happy memories we have are a gift from God.