Would love some advice and hoping to find it here!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would love some advice and hoping to find it here!

I'm not sure how to start this post. I could write a whole book but I'll try to do the reader's digest version. My mother is addicted to pills and has been for a very long time. She doesn't take them every day. It's been a never ending cycle of her going on a binge for 3 days to a week and then being sober for 3 weeks. I don't know what to think or do. She's a great person and a wonderful grandmother to my daughters when she's clean. It just seems like this cycle will never end. She says she can't go to rehab because she doesn't use everyday and has been talking with people on NA online. I wish I had my mother all the time but I think it may be time to accept it and move on. I don't know if it's the right thing to do but I want to just cut her out of my life completely. She wasn't allowed to watch my kids for a long time after I went to pick them up and she was f'ed up. I just finally trusted her to watch them on Tuesday and Wednesday she started another binge. Is there anything I can do to help her or is it best to just remove her from my life at this point?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello there Photogirl, and welcome to SoberRecovery

Originally Posted by Photogirl View Post
....My mother is addicted to pills and has been for a very long time. ....
I'm sorry to hear that your Mom is addicted to pills. It's a horrid addiction and the damage it does to the entire family is overwhelming. My Mom was addicted to booze, and added pills in her later years.

.... She doesn't take them every day. It's been a never ending cycle of her going on a binge for 3 days to a week and then being sober for 3 weeks.....
That's very common. They call those "periodic addicts". It doesn't matter _what_ they take, or how much, or how often. What matters is what it does to their lives.

.... She wasn't allowed to watch my kids for a long time after....
Same over here. That's called a "boundary", when you establish some form of protection for yourself and your family from the behavior of the addict.

....Is there anything I can do to help her ....
Actually there is. A lot in fact. The catch is that it's not the obvious things that are helpful. The first step is to educate yourself on this whole disease, and a great place to do that is in the forum "next door".

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

This thread is particularly good

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

Especially read the "sticky posts" at the top of the forum. Next, find a meeting of al-anon or nar-anon in your area. You can find them in your phone book or here

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

When you go to a meeting check out their literature. They have the best books and pamphlets on the subject.

That will keep you busy for a few days Along the way you will hear how other people are dealing with the addiction in their loved ones, and what approaches work and which do not. From all of that you will begin to select ideas that fit your particular situation. If you have questions just post them here or in the family forum "next door".

I'm glad you decided to join us.

Mike
Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Photogirl,

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. I hope you find the help you need here.