Notices

Depression and Dreams

Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and Dreams

Hello,

I'm feeling very depressed today. How did you deal with the depression while trying to stay sober. And another strange thing that's happening is that when I wake up in the morning the first thing that I think about is "Did I drink last night and do I feel hungover". It especially happens on the weekends. I don't know if I'm dreaming about drinking or what. It's strange

But the depression is real bad.

Theresa
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa:

Welcome to SR, glad you found this wonderful community. How many days has it been since your last drink?

The reason I ask is because drinking does cause depression for many pepole... and so do withdrawals from stopping. I was VERY depressed when drinking and also after I quit... it isn't as bad now, but occasionally I find I could slip back into depression, so I need to do something to pull myself out of it.

Are you seeing anyone about your depression Theresa?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Theresa,

It could be that the depression is caused by alcohol and it will begin to lift as you continue your recovery.

Or, if the depression came first (as in my case) then you might need to talk to your dr about it and get it treated.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 18 days. I do have clinical depression also. It's like what came first the chicken or the egg. Did I drink because I have depression or did the drinking cause the depression.

I notice now that I'm gorging on comfort foods. I already need to lose weight so that doesn't help. I have such craving for chocolate cake, doughnuts, and ice cream.

But I will not drink tonight.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you for not drinking tonight! And please.....if you need to see a doctor for your depression, please do! There is help!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was treated for major depression for over 3 years....after a big break-up at Xmas this past year i guess i had reactive depression which i made 10X worse by drinking more than ever.

things are far from perfect, but i KNOW i would feel 10X worse if i began to drink again....when you are consuming alcohol, your emotions and motor skills are impaired, sometimes my bad feelings are magnified...i'm not logical, i'm obsessive and i jump to conclusions over stupid things.

people have posted about feeling depressed after stopping, but for me it was the opposite....even if i have 1-2 drinks now, i get into a terrible mood afterwards, along with interupted sleep and trying to stay asleep.

i would sugges that you try a little exercise to get moving and feel calm...it certainly won't hurt.

my sweets cravings were very strong too, but after about a month they backed off....i figure a small dish of ice cream still has less calories than 8-10 glasses of wine.

if your depression persists, speak to your doctor about it.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi Theresa, and congrats on 18 days. I also felt depressed without alcohol. I was depressed before I started drinking heavily also. I think for me the depression was due to all those nasty thoughts like "wtf, I want to drink, why can't I drink, everyone else can drink" and also "omg I hate myself, how did i let alcohol get the best of me, I'm such an idiot, such a loser"
And have you ever heard of "phantom pain"? Like when someone loses a limb? I relate my non hungover but hungover feeling mornings to something like that. I was so used to waking up feeling like crap, that I automatically did for a bit.
I hope you can get help if your depression worsens, or doesn't ease up. Hang in there, our minds play terrible tricks sometimes!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a hard time. When I was in treatment for depression/alcohol and pills the doctors told me at about eighteen days, after I was off everything, they would evaluate for medications. It was about the third week they started me on meds and I have been successful on them ever since.
I hope you can find some peace. Good job on not drinking.
SH