Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

does taking prescription painkillers negate my sobriety?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey,

i'm new here...but not new to recovery/sobriety. i've had some substance abuse issues on and off for about 12 yrs now and will be 7 mos clean this thursday. today i went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at and i was prescribed hydrocodone for the pain (tooth is cracked/chipped and splitting when i bite/chew causing pain/discomfort). i take adderall for my attention deficit (only as prescribed) which was prescribed upon the diagnosis by my substance abuse counselor. now i'm having a debate with my friend who says that taking "vicodin" will negate my sobriety because it's "habit forming". last i checked adderall is habit-forming, too, but it hasn't caused me any relapse of drinking alcohol or smoking marijuana, etc.

i'd just like to hear some opinions on this topic...

ty
Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Does taking prescription painkillers negate my sobriety?
Boy this is a question for the ages...

For me I know deep down in my gut whether I am taking a medication for the wrong reasons or not. With your past usage I think nobody can really make that call except you. It sounds like you are on a very slippery slope so be careful.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

they were prescribed for tooth pain...and the advil just wasn't cutting it anymore. i'm already taking amphetamines for attention deficit but they don't make me crave a gin and tonic or bowl of northern lights. i'm not worried about the slope considering i live in a work-release facility where people all around me are snorting coke/smoking crack/etc basically right in my face; i haven't had any urges/impulses to use up to this point.

i just want some opinions sans cliche euphemisms
Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Here's the link to a thread someone started a few weeks ago about pretty much the same thing. You can see the differences in opinion regarding this...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...5-relapse.html
Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're taking them as prescribed I see no problem. And you would know if it was becoming a problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey sewber ----

First off, congrats on your 7 months....

"... i'm having a debate with my friend who says that taking "vicodin" will negate my sobriety because it's 'habit forming'..."

Regardless of whether a drug is 'habit forming' or not has NOTHING to do with one's sobriety/recovery. ...and definitely, NOBODY has the right to rule on anybody else's sobriety/recovery besides his or her own; it's a totally personal thing. (In other words, if he/she were my 'friend' I would tell him/her to just.....butt out!!!, but that's just me.....hehehe)

Here's a link to an AA pamphlet regarding 'prescribed medication' and one's sobriety.....:
http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf

I'd give you a link to what NA has to say, but I find their website too cumbersome for me to travel.

OK, now for my personal ES&H.....I've been clean & sober for just over 24 years (not a boast, just a fact for reference). I've seen this argument(?) come and go in meetings for a long time. For me, it didn't matter what anybody else said, only how I felt, with myself, my sponsor, my HP.

Yes, in early sobriety, it was necessary for me to take vicodin for a short while; like you, for dental work reasons. I was very careful, as taking them can be s slippery-slope; I only took them as prescribed; and I stopped taking them when I realized that they weren't working [I didn't play doctor (as in, I didn't increase the dosage on my own--way too 'addicted-thinking' for me)].

Today, I am on a number of pain meds and muscle relaxers; I'm old and there's nothing right with my back, and nothing can be done about it. If I do not take these meds, I cannot function; I would have 'no' quality of life at all. Again, I am very careful; yes, my body may become dependent upon them from time to time, but I do NOT take them 'as an addict' (like I used to, back in the day).

It can be done, but one must be very carefull. Many folks give their meds to another person, to hold for them, so as to minimize the temptation, so to speak.

Have you spoken to your sponsor about this? ...or do you even have a sponsor....? Again, remember, it's all up to you and your HP.

I hope this has helped in some small way.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think sobriety has everything to do with your intent. If you're intending to get drunk or high off alcohol, you've relapsed. If you were taking the hydrocodone to get high and got high, yeah that'd negate your sobriety. I take antidepressants and an a-typical benzo (Ambien) to sleep, which in some 12-step circles would negate my sobriety, but my quality of life would be so poor without them I would probably end up drinking and drugging to medicate, so I'm fine with it. Just know yourself and know your limits.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Either tough it out or take them as prescribed. If you question your ability to take them as prescribed, then hand them over to someone that you trust to administer them to you.

If you start abusing them, then it is a relapse. It won't negate your 7 months. You earned that and that is quite the accomplishment, but it would be a relapse due to abusing prescription pain meds to get high.

Best,
Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

sounds like you need me to hang on to them
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't had to face pain killers, yet. But reading this post made me call my dentist and schedule all the work I needed done to avoid future pain. Thanks for the post I had no idea tooth ache was so bad.
SH
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am another who believes that as long as you are not abusing the painkillers, it does not negate your sobriety. Sometimes we need painkillers and there is nothing wrong with using them medicinally when we are truly in pain.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Clay is pretty much right on, imho. My old boss, who has 20 good years of good sobriety, told me that the time will come when you will be faced with the possibility of pain meds or some other controlled substance. What matters is; can you be responsible enough to take them as directed? When you start using addict math, you know you're in trouble. Addict math is: Directions are, take on every four to six hours/addict math is take four to six every hour.........

Looking back to a time when I had gone to my first rehab (1992) and used two weeks later. After that I stopped using for about a year. Only problem was I was using otc meds wildly/by the fist full, literally. I had to understand I was just as bad then as before. My intent was to change the way I felt because I still couldn't stand living in my own skin and I was using the otc stuff to avoid the feelings. Always be aware of that little voice which whispers seductive phrases and feelings when you are faced with such situations. Talk to your sponsor, if you are working with one. Have someone hold your meds, as Anti stated.

There are folks who would feel taking anything mood altering is a relapse. Mood altering opens up a whole new can of worms not limited to chemicals or alcohol.

You go with what you feel in your heart is right.

As with any opiate and a few other drugs, if you take it even as prescribed, a physical dependence will occur. It's just part of it. Thing is, work out a plan for stepping down or otherwise getting off them while not letting that voice turn from a whisper to a shout for more.............

Anyway, keep your eyes open and aware. Don't take any chances.

Everyone is here for you
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I once had a cracked wisdom tooth and the pain was absolutely unbearable (second only to childbirth!). I could hardly hold my head upright and all I could do is moan...couldn't even walk, forget about talking (my daughter spoke for me). I went to an ER for the sole purpose of relief of my pain. This was in the middle of the night and there was no emergency dentist available. They perscribed pain meds and I was able to get through the night. First thing the next morning I went to a dentist and had the tooth extracted. Problem solved.

This thread is now relatively old for the nature of the subject matter, but I'm just wondering why this dentist didn't do something to fix the tooth instead of simply perscribing something to relieve the pain? The only thing I can think of is if the dentist planned on a root canal and needed to clear up an infectoin first, but there is no mention of antibiotics perscribed along with the painkillers?

....maybe I'm just thinking too much.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think the best thing to do in a situation like this is to e honest to yourself and to your doctors. Let your dentist know that you are in recovery. Then they could consider other pain-killers for you that aren't as addictive.

I don't know if it even matters if it has negated your sobriety. We are all different and some people would relapse from something like this, while others wouldn't have any difficulty.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an
Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP
and people like you here
in SR I havent found it
necessary to pick up a
drink of alcohol since
8-11-90.

For that and you I am
truely grateful.

If I have to make a
trip to the doctor,
which is very rare,
and thank my HP
for good health, I
make sure my doctor
knows that I am
in recovery and that
I don't want any thing
to jeopardize my
sobriety.

If something is to
be prescribed to me
he knows that I don't
want anything narcotic
or habit forming.

That way I have
confidence in my
doctor and we have
a better doctor patiant
relationship.

I trust him as long
as im honest with
him or her.

And that is how it
works for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I take the odd T3 for my back pain...and my addictions counselor just told me to be careful....
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Just my 2-cents

prescription painkillers can & cannot "negate" your sobriety date.
anti-depressants can & cannot negate a sobriety date.
a rum-filled candy can & cannot negate a sobriety date.
even a good solid swig of a glass of vodka can & cannot negate a sobriety date.

Can AND cannot?
....for me, it boils down to my motives - really, what ARE my motives? I'll use the last one in an example

- I pour a glass of Vodka, take a drink then regret my decision = new date
- I grab a glass of water, take a drink, find out it's vodka = no new date (for ME...you may feel differently)

I've found that with reliance upon my HP, life CAN be great. With the God of my understanding's help, my life is pretty darn good. So, for me, if re-start an antidepressant regime that means I get a new sobriety date. When I've made a bottle of pills my current HP, they come with a new date as well.

Specifically to your question though - painkillers... I think it depends upon my motives. I had dental work done several years ago. It hurt like HELL for a couple days. If I had to repeat that experience, you can bet I'd take the meds so I can still function at work and so I can be pleasant to the ppl around me all day. Now, once the physical pain is gone, if I keep taking 'em....it's new-date-time.

Everyone's different and what works for me might leave you feeling like a fraud. Search your conscience.....and ask the HP of YOUR understanding to help you see the Truth - not just what you may want to see. <--- that's the real test and the only one that consistently works for me....and I usually have to do it over and over on a case-by-case basis.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I thought I'd jump in here. I faced this challenge early in sobriety when I too had a tooth problem. A root fractured and it had to be extracted.
The oral surgeon gave me 12 pills. I took one following the appt. Then the pain was bearable so I didn't take anymore, but I found myself hoarding these pills away for a raining day. What I didn't know. Just the fact that I had them made me happy. Then, I hit a bump in the road and went to the pills. First, I had one. Then a couple more a few hours later and it freaked me out. I called my sponsor and got rid of them while she was on the phone.
Addiction is a tricky thing. You get rid of one and find others waiting to take its place.
So I guess my advice would be, use them initially if you have to. Then throw the rest out! Seeing as this is an old thread. I'm interested to hear how you handled this situation.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No. But like others have posted, be wary if the pills remind you of "the good 'ole days".
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Right Where I am Suppose to be

I think if ure sober/clean 7 months u are aware if u start to misuse your Rx. They are perscribed for you, is your DR aware of ure addictions? if not make him aware! Personally i wont take any mind altering substance, but under perscription i feel i have to take meds. If you can get some1 u trust to give u the meds at the required times it may help, then destroy them if u have any left over !!!