Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nocoincidence56

Clay is pretty much right on, imho. My old boss, who has 20 good years of good sobriety, told me that the time will come when you will be faced with the possibility of pain meds or some other controlled substance. What matters is; can you be responsible enough to take them as directed? When you start using addict math, you know you're in trouble. Addict math is: Directions are, take on every four to six hours/addict math is take four to six every hour.........

Looking back to a time when I had gone to my first rehab (1992) and used two weeks later. After that I stopped using for about a year. Only problem was I was using otc meds wildly/by the fist full, literally. I had to understand I was just as bad then as before. My intent was to change the way I felt because I still couldn't stand living in my own skin and I was using the otc stuff to avoid the feelings. Always be aware of that little voice which whispers seductive phrases and feelings when you are faced with such situations. Talk to your sponsor, if you are working with one. Have someone hold your meds, as Anti stated.

There are folks who would feel taking anything mood altering is a relapse. Mood altering opens up a whole new can of worms not limited to chemicals or alcohol.

You go with what you feel in your heart is right.

As with any opiate and a few other drugs, if you take it even as prescribed, a physical dependence will occur. It's just part of it. Thing is, work out a plan for stepping down or otherwise getting off them while not letting that voice turn from a whisper to a shout for more.............

Anyway, keep your eyes open and aware. Don't take any chances.

Everyone is here for you