Notices

Life beyond your wildest dreams...

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life beyond your wildest dreams...

....another little step towards it today.

Since i've been in AA nearly 3 years made little steps towards my long term goal of becoming a lecturer/tutor by the time i'm 45 (5 years away).

I started a law degree on a part time basis 2 years ago, so got another 4 years to go to complete. I'd love to teach or lecture law or politics in a college eventually.

I'm already started teaching kids snorkelling/swimming at my local baths. But today, I have been offered an opportunity one day a week teaching 16-19 year olds on something in the UK we call citizenship classes in local shools/colleges. Students get to pick their topic or project over 2 and half terms, usually around current affairs, local needs, human rights, racism, bullying, political issues, etc. My training starts Monday and should be tagged onto a team within 2 weeks.

It's a little step for me to where i want to be after i've finished my degree.

These little steps have so far got me to a position where i'm studying for the oldest law degree in the land with London Uni, i will be doing a weeks residential at Cambridge and now on the first step of the ladder to teaching.

Compare this to 7/8 years ago i was a homeless drunk, even stealing food some nights to survive.

I realise i'm only half way there, i'm still working as a market trader for 4 days, live in a rented house and sometimes look at life and wish i had everything right now. But it takes time.

Sometimes i'm cynical of the paraphrasing in AA, a saying a day keeps the drink at bay. But it does work if you work it, it really is there for the taking and that life beyond your wildest dreams is a possibility...just chase your dreams, but one little step at a time.

Paul
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

The Promises are real, dude...I'm livin' it too!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Very cool.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
....another little step towards it today.

Since i've been in AA nearly 3 years made little steps towards my long term goal of becoming a lecturer/tutor by the time i'm 45 (5 years away).

I started a law degree on a part time basis 2 years ago, so got another 4 years to go to complete. I'd love to teach or lecture law or politics in a college eventually.

I'm already started teaching kids snorkelling/swimming at my local baths. But today, I have been offered an opportunity one day a week teaching 16-19 year olds on something in the UK we call citizenship classes in local shools/colleges. Students get to pick their topic or project over 2 and half terms, usually around current affairs, local needs, human rights, racism, bullying, political issues, etc. My training starts Monday and should be tagged onto a team within 2 weeks.

It's a little step for me to where i want to be after i've finished my degree.

These little steps have so far got me to a position where i'm studying for the oldest law degree in the land with London Uni, i will be doing a weeks residential at Cambridge and now on the first step of the ladder to teaching.

Compare this to 7/8 years ago i was a homeless drunk, even stealing food some nights to survive.

I realise i'm only half way there, i'm still working as a market trader for 4 days, live in a rented house and sometimes look at life and wish i had everything right now. But it takes time.

Sometimes i'm cynical of the paraphrasing in AA, a saying a day keeps the drink at bay. But it does work if you work it, it really is there for the taking and that life beyond your wildest dreams is a possibility...just chase your dreams, but one little step at a time.

Paul
What a turnaround! Congratulations on your sobriety and bettering yourself and reaching your goals. Anything is possible in recovery if we put our minds to it. I've found we can shoot for the stars under one condition. We must put recovery first.