View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Life beyond your wildest dreams...

....another little step towards it today.

Since i've been in AA nearly 3 years made little steps towards my long term goal of becoming a lecturer/tutor by the time i'm 45 (5 years away).

I started a law degree on a part time basis 2 years ago, so got another 4 years to go to complete. I'd love to teach or lecture law or politics in a college eventually.

I'm already started teaching kids snorkelling/swimming at my local baths. But today, I have been offered an opportunity one day a week teaching 16-19 year olds on something in the UK we call citizenship classes in local shools/colleges. Students get to pick their topic or project over 2 and half terms, usually around current affairs, local needs, human rights, racism, bullying, political issues, etc. My training starts Monday and should be tagged onto a team within 2 weeks.

It's a little step for me to where i want to be after i've finished my degree.

These little steps have so far got me to a position where i'm studying for the oldest law degree in the land with London Uni, i will be doing a weeks residential at Cambridge and now on the first step of the ladder to teaching.

Compare this to 7/8 years ago i was a homeless drunk, even stealing food some nights to survive.

I realise i'm only half way there, i'm still working as a market trader for 4 days, live in a rented house and sometimes look at life and wish i had everything right now. But it takes time.

Sometimes i'm cynical of the paraphrasing in AA, a saying a day keeps the drink at bay. But it does work if you work it, it really is there for the taking and that life beyond your wildest dreams is a possibility...just chase your dreams, but one little step at a time.

Paul