Notices

Tough question

Old 10-20-2003, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Tough question

One of the most frequent questions I've heard from my friends and family since I told (almost) all of them about my addiction has been, "Why did you start?" To me, that seems like a loaded question. How do you answer something like that? Regardless of my answer to question number 1, the second question is always the same: "Don't you know what that stuff does to you?" Another loaded question. I don't know why I started, and yeah, I do know what that stuff does to me. I know more about it than most of them. But when I answer these questions honestly, I am forced to look like an idiot. For example, if I know what that stuff does to me, why do I do it? Obviously, because I'm crazy. Well, I suppose I'd better stop rambling now. I just wanted to hear if you people out there in "internet land" have heard the same questions, and if so, how you answered them. Take care.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

Glad to hear from you again. I haven't seen you as much on the boards....

Anyways, why did you start? That is a loaded question.... My answer would be something like Just because I wanted to or I liked how it made me feel. Simple as that. It really does not matter what is said to normies.... we look like idiots no matter what! No explanation will give them the reasoning that they are looking for. Our reasoning just does not match theirs! Its like cats and dogs, they are just different.

No good answers to give you here I guess. Just knowing that they will never totally understand may help you avoid fighting the issue with people though.....

Luck!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

I suppose I really didn't expect an answer, I just needed to vent. Or something. I guess you are right, no one is going to understand, especially since they have never been there. I guess we're all a little nuts for doing these drugs anyway, right?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, we are all nuts. Dont worry! LOL
Old 10-20-2003, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, the thing about those questions is that they just keep coming up. Family and friends kept asking "why!!!!" for quite some time (and they still do) and I just answer honestly! I liked it. And thats the truth.

But I dont like it anymore (truly I dont). I have accepted full responsibility for my drug use and the people around me can see that I have changed. When I was lying about my sobriety, people could tell and they would continue to ask "why!!!". But since I have made good decisions, etc. it shows and my fam and friends dont usually bring it up.

Its really not about other people, though. Besides, my family and friends had a right to know "why!!!". And if someone patronizes you (meaning they dont have your best interests in mind) just tell them to cool it...and it usually works.

If you are doing what your supposed to, people can tell. But if your not willing to give up and surrender...they can see that too.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re: Tough question

Originally posted by WishIwasInVegas
"Why did you start?" To me, that seems like a loaded question. How do you answer something like that?
From Narcotics Anonymous.....

Addiction is a disease that can happen to anyone. Some of us used drugs because we enjoyed them, while others used to suppress the feelings we already had. Still others suffered from physical or mental ailments and became addicted to the medication prescribed during our illnesses. Some of us joined the crowd using drugs a few times just to be cool and later found that we could not stop.

Many of us tried to overcome addiction, and sometimes temporary relief was possible, but it was usually followed by an even deeper involvement that before.

Whatever the circumstances, it really doesn't matter. .
Old 10-21-2003, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Since I gave up that little meth habit of mine, I have been consuming amazing quantities of caffine. I never thought I could drink so much coffee. I don't know why........maybe I'm just substituting caffine for meth. They do the same thing, really. Meth makes you feel good and coffee makes you pee. Ok. So they aren't really alike at all. But if they were, by gawd, I.......its way too early in the morning for this ****. I'm going back home and back to bed.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

hi las vegas...here's another one...while in the midst of my early recovery and hanging with some folks on the metaphysical side I was incouraged to have a couple of beers...I said, "can't cause I'm an alcoholic in recovery...I spent the next several hours trying to convince those folks that alcoholism is a disease...they spent the next few hours trying to convince me it was simply mind over matter and that if I "chose to" I could control this addiction...in desperation I said, ok...you may be right...but I CHOOSE NOT TO USE...and I got absolutely no argument in return...most normies have no clue...it's not whether they understand...it's whether I understand my situation...dr dave
Old 11-04-2003, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's exactly it, Wish. I don't tell people because they just do not understand at all. That's why I come here - because here everybody gets it. It's that simple for me!

Love, Anna
Old 11-05-2003, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meow!

This is a good question & kinda hard to answer but then again not! But when i was asked by my brother not, why did I started doing Meth, but how on earth could I do it for 16 yrs!!! My brother is always asking questions, cuz he was clueless as to the whoole drug thing, ya know? He's very supportive of me, he's helped me out so much! He's NEVER touched a drug in his life! I look up tohim, in a big way..well...he is my BIG brother! lol
The question that I got me right in the gut & was sooo hard to answer, cuz I felt like a BIG loser, but just about a couple of months ago, (oh, to make a long story short, I am a single Mom to my 6 yr old little girl, it's just her & I, she's the love of my life Ü
anyway...my brother says to me...Why would u still do drugs when u have the best thing in the world, Your daughter, just quit, he'd tell me, and I see what he meant, it's like Heck...just put the crap down & all I need is my lilttle girl,! Damn, made me feel so awful, but I answered it the best way I could, honestly...I said thgis...:well....the meth has been in my life for 16 yrs, & my daughter for 6, the drugs came 1st, & I tryed to explain to him how is was a disease, I cryed & he cryed & then I told him, that's why I am here today wanting & trying to get all the help I can & stay sober!1 (and stay away from unhealthy/abusive relationships!

Don'rt know if that made much sense to ya'll, I kinda went sideways on that one, lol sorry! Hope that made some sorta sense to ya! lol