relationship help

Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relationship help

I am new to this whole forum,I have been seeing a guy who was in rehab for crack,he has been out for about 4 years or so,maybe closer to 5,when he got out,he got his own place,not long after that got into a relationship,he ended it,and then starting seeing me about 8 months later,everything goes really well for a while,then he tells me he's not ready,that he feels like he still has to recover,he has not relapsed,but says he wants to live alone and do his own thing and needs space for us to be better,then he will go back to being my boyfriend for a month or so,then gets in a mood and says the same thing,is this part of the recovery,how much space does he need without me leaving him totally alone? and what can i do to reassure him he is doing well? my fear is i will give him space,and he wont come back,i love him more than i have anyone in my life,what do i do?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, this isn't a relationship advice site, but it sounds to me like he needs some space, or maybe he just doesn't want to be with you. You can either chase him and generally make a nuisance of yourself, or you can do the adult thing and just give him space. He knows how to get ahold of you if he wants to talk to you.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great quote:

Never make someone a priority in your life, when all you are to them is just an option.
I think you can do better.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisalil View Post

everything goes really well for a while,then he tells me he's not ready,that he feels like he still has to recover,he has not relapsed,but says he wants to live alone and do his own thing and needs space for us to be better,then he will go back to being my boyfriend for a month or so,then gets in a mood and says the same thing,is this part of the recovery....
Not to be debby downer here, but this sounds more like somone who goes off on a crack binge than anything else.

Relapse is a part of addiction, not recovery.

Regardless of what's really going on this sounds like he wants your company when it's convenient for him.

Only you can decide if this on again/off again thing is what you want in a relationship. If not, move on. You can't force him or anyone to engage in a relationship.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

agreed.. He may be a great guy, but this is not your path to walk imo.
Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
great quote:

I think you can do better.