Notices

Only just hanging on

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Only just hanging on

Hi everyone - I'm new on this site. Hope I am posting in the right section.I had my last drink over a week ago, and have been going to meetings. But my brains are scrambled from stopping sleeping tablets, and being switched to Valium by my doctor, and from side effects of my antidepressants. Hoping to come off those soon. My lovely husband died 18 months ago, leaving me, my children and grandson deeply bereaved, so that is a battle as well as my addictions and now financial worries. But I HAVE stopped the booze, which is a miracle, and am being taken to a meeting tonight.
Thanks,
Sally
PS Im British so apologies if my times are off!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome sally.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I can not begin to imagine how you must be feeling but I can take a wild guess at the fact that alcohol will not make you feel any better. Good luck with the meetings and stick around on this site as there are many wise people!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sally, this is a great place to receive and offer support. So sorry for you loss, you're husband is surely proud of this step you've taken. Keep coming back and keep posting.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery Sally. Sorry for your loss and hopefully you will pull through it all okay.

Good to hear that you are going to meetings and I'm sure you are getting some good support from the members.

In time, things will get better,unfortunately not in the time we would like, but give it a chance and you will see.

Keep going to meetings and hopefully we see more posts from you in your progress.

Harry
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sally, you have found the right place and we're open 24 hours a day.

I am very sorry for the loss of your husband.

If you are looking for support for stopping drinking, you will find lots of support here.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi Sally. I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. I'm so happy you found us, to help support you in your recovery.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sally,

Welcome, so sry for the loss of your husband. Everyone here is so great, I am also from the UK and check the forums throughout the day regularly. If you need to chat and others are asleep send me a pm and I will get right back to you.

Good luck at your meeting hun.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sally

I'm very sorry for your loss. This must be a diffucult time for you. Lack of sleep just adds to the stress. You made a good decesion to give up the alcohol. Moving forward is diffucult enough without having that monkey on your back. I wish you peace and strength on your journey.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sally, wish you well on your recovery,your stopping drinking will help your finances immensly, and you will be in such better health longterm, to do and take on things,cope with a lot, you never could whilst drinking..ive found to my amazement..your in a good place for support.i came here alone desperate despairing broke..im 3 mons in and feelin good about myself, and making great progress i never dreamt of... good luck.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sally

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad you've stopped drinking.
It really is a dead end.

I know you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here tho and, as Anna said, it's 24/7

Welcome
D
Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Thanks so much everyone for your replies and support. its heled me aleady!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Sally - just wanted to welcome you to SR. I'm sorry to hear about your husband and hope the future brings lots of healing for you and your family.

It's great that you've decided to take care of yourself by getting sober. Life is stressful, but drinking really just makes it worse. We're here for you, so keep posting and reading!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi sally and welcome. Sorry for your loss and glad you are doing something about your alcohol problem. As far as hours, we have people on 6 continents so there is always someone here. (I figure there has to be at least one or two alkies in Antarctica and I would love to see us hit the last continent LOL).
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sally!

So sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. That's gotta really be tough but it appears you are a very strong-willed person. You have the first week under your belt; you're going to meetings and I foresee a bright future for you and the kiddies.

This place is awesome for the love and support you're looking for. Again, welcome with open arms! :ghug3