Notices

What really helps...

Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What really helps...

What I found really helped and continues to help me stay sober is the 'one day at a time' and 'just for today' philosophies.

I remember this time last year, and on various occassions since that too, then there were times and occassions where I would have used to get smashed and have nobody but myself to be accountable to. What really helped me keep my focus on my sobriety, and also importantly keeping relatively sane, was making sure that I didn't allow my mind to wander and to 'project' outside of the present day. It also really made this whole thing seem remotely possible by making sure that I just didn't take that first drink 'just for today'. This made the prospect of not drinking alcohol again seem less daunting and much more believable.

I think that if I didn't really embrace the 'one day at a time' and 'just for today' approach to recovery then I wouldn't still be sober now. I would have got driven mad and totally depressed by the whole thing. What really helped me was when I heard at an NA meeting the saying in relation to 'just for today' of "One foot in the past, One foot in the future, P*ssing all over today'.

This really connected with me and I could continue to see the importance of trying to keep my priority in my life of making sure that I look after and protect today, and then tomorrow will work out just nicely.

Keeping thinking 'one day at a time' is definately a skill like anything else in recovery and you get better at it as time progresses in sobriety. That's not to say that my mind doesn't wander off into the future and the what ifs?. However I recognise it and my daily visits to SR really help me gain my clarity and get my mind firmly back on track and back into the present day. SR helps me make sure that I plant the seeds today, for a brighter tomorrow.

I think 'one day at a time' is so important for me and my recovery. It's also great to know that in difficult times that I just need to make sure that I have to stay sober 'just for today'. But if nothing else, then keeping my thinking in the 'one day at a time' mantra, has really helped me stay much more calm, relaxed, chilled-out and positive about life, than I ever was before I came into recovery.

Increase The Peace
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where were you last week? haha.

Your right and make a very good point. I'm only on day 8 right now and things are starting to get a bit better for me but in my first few days I was stressing because i hadnt been drinking and every friday I go out for lunch with a group of guys and we always have a few beers over lunch. Well, instead of worrying about it that Friday, I thought about it all week how I would handle myself and get by without a dirnk... when I really didn't have to worry about it until that day. Lots of added and unnecasry stress during a alrady stressful time.

The one day at a time attitude is whats going to get me through this I think. If I get the urge I'll lie to myself and say its for another day and just get through this one. I also figure the longer I stay sober the more I'll have to lose if I go back to that life style so, which is motivating me to keep on the right path.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

100% agreed. I wouldn't be on my 26th day without handling it one day at a time. To look ahead at a week or month at a time makes it seem like there's an epic battle ahead. Something about waking up in the am rested and only having that day on your mind makes it totally doable. I read the 24 hrs a day daily thoughts and Fridays was about not dwelling on yesterday or looking at what lies ahead tomorrow but instead focusing on today. So true. I'm finding that mindset helpful for life in general. Thanks Neo!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Yeah, 'One Day at a Time' and 'Just for Today' mottos have saved me many a time from myself, LOL. They are indeed good tools in my recovery. I have recovered into the good spiritual life not from these mottos alone of course, but without them practiced within my heart and mind each day, I would be uselessly embattled with myself over selfishness and self-centeredness of how my day should unfold my way and on my time.

RR
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just keeping focused on not drinking just for today and not worrying about what may happen tomorrow, eventually relieved me a lot.

If I'm thinking and worried about what happened yesterday and worrying about what may happen tomorrow only means I'm not doing anything about today because I'm not focused on it. And today is the only day I can take care of and live in.

Harry
Old 08-01-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good point Neo! Have and still use it at times. Just for the next 24 hours.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, at 2 years sober, I just used it for the first time in a long time.

Just told myself....not right now. Maybe tomorrow if I'm still thinking it.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And right behind coffeenut, almost 3 years later, and I still use it too. Sometimes I have to remind myself "I just have to do right now......"

NEO, those philosophies are what keep me sane too.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post

Keeping thinking 'one day at a time' is definately a skill like anything else in recovery and you get better at it as time progresses in sobriety. That's not to say that my mind doesn't wander off into the future and the what ifs?. However I recognise it and my daily visits to SR really help me gain my clarity and get my mind firmly back on track and back into the present day. SR helps me make sure that I plant the seeds today, for a brighter tomorrow.

Increase The Peace

Just how I feel Neo. Thanks for sharing this!

Blessings
Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Yep, at 2 years sober, I just used it for the first time in a long time.

Just told myself....not right now. Maybe tomorrow if I'm still thinking it.
I am celebrating 60 days tomorrow, and in those 60 days, there have been two times I really wanted a drink. One was a physical craving and the other was a stress induced "just screw it" stuation. ..both times I used the mental allowance of "maybe tomorrow." I knew I wouldn't, but it didn't matter. It got me thorugh.