Notices

My first sober bar-b-q

Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first sober bar-b-q

today was my first real chalange, a bar-b-q. I'm on day 27 and was really woried that I was going to give in, but I made it through and feel really good about it. I was offered a drink like 3 or 4 times, but luckily no one there was too pushy or made a big deal about it. Especialy since they've seen me drink before.

I kept trying to think about just not having that first drink and I wouldn't have to worry about drinking the 10th or 11th. That seemed to help a lot. What do a lot of you say to yourself in tight spots to keep away from the first?

I don't really feel like I finished a Iorn man, or won the nobel prize, but I know if I had that first drink, I'd be at home by myself right now working on a bottle of vodka instead of posting on SR. I think it's gonna feel really good tomorrow when I wake up in the morn.

Dune
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Dune...it's always nice to get through and know you can do it
D
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DUNE View Post
today was my first real chalange, a bar-b-q. I'm on day 27 and was really woried that I was going to give in, but I made it through and feel really good about it. I was offered a drink like 3 or 4 times, but luckily no one there was too pushy or made a big deal about it. Especialy since they've seen me drink before.

I kept trying to think about just not having that first drink and I wouldn't have to worry about drinking the 10th or 11th. That seemed to help a lot. What do a lot of you say to yourself in tight spots to keep away from the first?

I don't really feel like I finished a Iorn man, or won the nobel prize, but I know if I had that first drink, I'd be at home by myself right now working on a bottle of vodka instead of posting on SR. I think it's gonna feel really good tomorrow when I wake up in the morn.

Dune
Man, I went through the same thing tonight. My fams were celebrating my uncles birthday and did a BBQ with liquor everywhere. Watching everyone drink and taking tequila shots and all that was horrible. Seemed like everyone was having a blast but me. I was offered a drink a couple of times and refused. Like you, I knew if I had just 1 shot shortly afterwards I'd go for 2, then 3, and before you know it I'm sleeping next to an empty liter bottle of vodka. I really am not feeling good about my self control though, I almost gave in tonight. It's day 25 for me. Good job on holding out.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dune, well done. And the next morning always feels so good when we don't submit to the cravings.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats to Dune and iWin, you both did what you set out to, its a big achievement to be tempted and not give in!

I'm only on day 20 but. Have already been in a handful of similar situations. In those cases I've done my best to have a drink in hand, most people won't try to press something on you if you already have something. If someone ask me why I'm not drinking, I've replied that for some reason the taste of alcohol doesn't taste good to me anymore, which pretty much shuts them up. You could also say that you've developed a sensitivety to alcohol and it makes you break out in hives...lol. whatever you say you don't owe people an explanation, but it helps to have a plan in place if someone tries to get you to drink.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate you guys sharing success stories like this. I'm only 8days in and will be facing lots of situations like these in the days/weeks/months to come.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats killer, rock on. I'm probably being overly careful and just avoiding those things, I need to deal with it and be strong. It's just that the past 3 times I slipped and blew weeks of sobriety it was from scenes like that. The worst for me is if it's people that were basically drinking pals. Your comment about how ul feel tomorrow is a great way to look at it. I was doing some car cleaning yesterday which is always a beer fest and thinking of where it would lead instead of the first cold beer helped me say NO!!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

in the first 6 or so months of my recovery, I avoided situations that revolved around alcohol, or where I thought I might feel uncomfortable. Granted, we can't avoid alcohol forever, but I could for a while, until I had worked on myself and my recovery long enough to feel 'ok' about it. I cancelled a lot of plans, and found new friends. I had to, my sobriety is precious to me. Good job, and great ideas on having a drink (non alcoholic) in your hand (bring your own! I always show up with a bottle of diet pepsi), but seriously don't feel weird about cancelling out of things that you're not quite comfortable with.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dune, you did great and so did you, iWin. Luckily, social drinking situations haven't been something I've had to deal with but in case I do, I'll remember what both of you said about how you handled them. Rock on, y'all!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job! Thinking it through like you did is how I handled those 1st situations of not drinking. I am where I am because I could NOT drink just one. Well done!!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the responces. Waking up today after another sober night was so refreshing. And just like I've read on other posts, the urge comes, peaks, and then fades away. By the time I went to sleep last night, I wasn't even thinking about drinking anymore.

I was thinking about changing up my game plan for those situations, but I guess sticking with what works until it doesn't is probably the best thing. Thanks again.

Dune

p.s. One of the best things about waking up this morning....knowing that I wasn't working on day 1 again.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yay Dune!!! In my opinion, your feat was as equally impressive as winning the Ironman, if not more. Great job!!! Nobel Peace Prize????? I'm not sure about that one. lol
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you maintaned your sober time....
Way To Go!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Dune and Iwin!!
Very good advice from everybody about surviving these events.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thats great Dune and Iwin!!

So pleased you both didnt give in. Its a great Feeling to wake up the next Morning Sober and without hating yourself. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

You inspire me. I'm only on day 3 of sobriety and I'm so scared because in 2 weeks I'm giving my sisters bachelorette party, then 2 weeks after that its her wedding! In my head I'm still trying to convince myself that I can control my drinking at these functions, but in my heart I'm not sure. Anyway, this is your thread, didn't mean to vent, but it just made me feel so much stronger that you two got through it!! Great job!