Notices

Terrible Cravings

Old 07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible Cravings

Tonight is seemed to be riddled with cravings, cravings, cravings, I am also not feeling well, and did not goto the evening meeting, and have been desiring a drink ever since. I'm on day 48 and it's been a fairly smooth ride, but tonight is more difficult than any of the rest.

I just wish this silly disease would give my mind a rest when I've had enough. I get so tired of fighting, and so I pray that god will take away this obsession with alcohol, and replace it with whatever he see's fit.

Thanks for letting me BITCH

-Lith :rotfxko
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to do something that will distract you, for even a few minutes. Are you feeling well enough to go for a walk, play with your pet, watch a good movie, whatever it takes to get through the evening. And, you can always hang out here.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Litho

I'm sorry you don't feel well - that was mostly the times when I would 'feel like a drink' too cos my body and mind told me a drink would make me 'feel better'.

Absolute nonsense of course - getting out of the house and doing something light like Anna suggested, or going to the Dr could make me feel better, but drinking never will.

I got tired of fighting too.

For me it was far better to just surrender and accept what I was..accept that sometimes I will fall into default and want alcohol - but also accept that I cannot drink if I want to live the way I want to live....and so I must do everything I can, follow every positive non drinking avenue open to me, and not drink.

I'm glad you're posting here - I hope you feel better tomorrow and make a meeting.

D
Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thinking of you...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

48 days is great! I too hope you don't believe the lies that alcoholic voice is telling you. You know how it lies... Keep the faith, baby, one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

ps, the cravings do go away with time. I've got seven months and rarely get them these days. So give it time and be good to yourself physically and mentally. It will get better.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lith - great on the 48 days and you can do it! Just think of those nasty, pukish hangovers followed by a headache. Do something different like go to a movie theatre, walk in the park, walk around the block, just anything.

I'm on Day 4 and don't have the slightest urge only because I've lived a life of hello the last three days. And honestly, I don't think I will again.

Good luck friend!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

You did something GREAT tonight, you helped me so much , I had no idea that we were old friends until we talked on Skype tonight

Looking forward to Skyping with you again soon...if it helps you as much as it helps me we can both stay sober

You are in my thoughts and prayers....and you have a longer period of sobriety than I do, thats a first LOL

As I said on Skype, you have your whole life and a wonderful career in front of you and to wreck it all with a beer would be such a waste,

You are a wonderful person who does not deserve this disease, but you have it and you are dealing with it...things WILL get better

Womble
Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lith, one of the best things I found is coming to SR when I have any weak moments or just want to vent. We have all been there. Early sobriety will tempt us with those little thoughts. Try and do some reading as that helped me. It was funny but once I stopped drinking....I actually noticed some brain cells lighting up again. I also have raw veggies on hand so I will snack on those with some dip too.

Hang in there. Just work through these moments because successfully overcoming these challenges will only strengthen your recovery and boost your self esteem.

All the best!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Made it through last night, thank you all for your comments, I know the cravings will come and go, I need to stick to my resolve to get to the other side of this monster. I want it, really bad, your support is invaluable to me, thanks so much friends.

-Lith
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good goin lith...yeah am up there with ya..and get through the cravings..wit little treats,
chocolate, chilli sauce coffee, sweet things, things i would never normally eat or try, cos givin up is tough at times..but so worth it in the long run..wishin you well..keep it goin.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go Lithobid! We get a little stronger each time we don't act on those insane urges.

I had about three or four days last week when I wanted to do nothing but drink. It was almost a physical feeling and almost felt like depression. I don't know what it was but it finally went away. I really had begun to think I was going to be a miserable non-drinker and that felt horrible. The thing that helped the most was coming here to SR, watching TV, messing around on the computer - stuff that was not stressful. And getting a bunch of sleep, too.

One interesting thing that happen (and it's happened before in my life), made me remember that sometimes it's "darkest before the dawn." As I came out of my funky mood, I started getting involved in making my own website (something that I've put off for years). And not only was my mood lifted, but since then I've felt as though I really do have a new, interesting life which would be possible only with sobriety. Those bad days seemed like they would last forever, but they didn't.

Where do you want to be in a year? What little steps can you take this week to get there? Reward yourself for getting through another day sober. Also, be patient with yourself, and know that everyone here cares about you.