Notices

Confused and down and yes, weak too.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Confused and down and yes, weak too.

Hi everybody,

I just thought I would write here instead of perhaps slide.
I have just been told by my doctor that my thyroid is not working properly.

I went to the doc. on Monday after months of hesitation. He knows everything there is to know about our alcohol abuse and is a good man but I just didn't want to go for this complaint.

The complaint? Tired, cold, sluggish, clumsy, short of breath unable to concentrate, out of it, weight gain. You know, all the things you could have happen after stopping with alcohol.

But it just got worse and worse and I decided to go and today I heard that my thyroid hormone level T4 was to high if only marginally and it got me all confused and down and yes also weak in my resolve and I just didn't want to take any chances. Not after last week.

Make no mistake I'm not posting because I want advise or anything that is between me and the doc but damn, it explains so much and it makes me so sad.

I gained 30 kg when I was 43. in one year and I went through a rough patch but the man who was my doc then told me it could not be my thyroid and I just dragged myself along for all this time and I gained even more weight.

Going from a slender and gorgeous (I was told this was so) woman into this overweight slobby whale of one was heart breaking and I don't know how I managed to keep up truth be told.

And now there is at least the recognition that it is just not me growing old and ugly and fat because I'm doing it wrong. There is something wrong with me and while it may still be just an iodine deficiency and something that can be remedied naturally That at least is a great relief.

But with that comes confusion and anger. What if I could have done something about it ten years ago and I would not have been put through all this what would it have done with my drinking habit? What if my depressed state was because of a deficient thyroid and if I had had that dealt with I would not have needed to take anti depressants for years and years? What if with a little extra Iodine and minerals I could have lost the excess weight and kept fit in a gym?

I know that it is absolutely useless to go "what if" but it the feelings are hitting me in waves and I feel so sad and angry for what could have been and boy would that have been a good reason to get absolutely wasted two months ago.

Anybody just saying hello right now would help.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

4 of my friends take various med's for this condition
and they all are doing quite well.....
2 have been drinkers...2 were not.

Sorry you have to deal with this s situation
but I'm glad you are heading into better health!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Margareth.

I know it's natural to go 'what if' but there's no satisfaction there...

focus on the positives...now you know you have a thyroid problem...you can fix it...I hope it also helps you with your depression too...

You're also working on your drinking problem, and I presume you'll be able now to go to the gym etc and be the person and body shape you want to be.

The future looks pretty good to me Margareth

D
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

I know that it is really easy to deal with once you know but apparently they have these stupid numbers and if you don't fit that's it, no medication and that is what happened ten years ago. In the mean time I've been prescribed antidepressants, horrible medication that made you fart grease to loose weight which didn't happen and doing a lot of self medication with iodine etc. and I felt like **** because I felt fat and ugly and the doctor still wants me to take supplements I took myself before he makes up is mind in six weeks or so.

My husband and I hope we can see him tomorrow and get some more information because I am sick of being tired and weak and slobby. I would like to have just enough energy to exercise and feel how that used to feel. GOOD.

Sorry for ranting but I'm sooo tired and pissed off.

Just found your response Dee, Thanks mate. I find it hard to see it right now but I know I'll get there in the end. It may be weeks before I have enough energy to even begin to exercise if my supplements do the job but at least there is recognition. No sliding though I promise.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello!!

A marginally high T4 would indicate hyperthyroidism ... Which is usually associated with weight loss, not weight gain... Did you get your TSH level? That would help you and your doctor put it all together...

Sounds like you need to sit down with him or her and discuss this a bit more... Did you hear about this T4 straight from the Doctor... Or did you just hear about it from someone in the office?

Don't get stuck in the past. What can you do today?

Mark
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Hello!!

A marginally high T4 would indicate hyperthyroidism ... Which is usually associated with weight loss, not weight gain... Did you get your TSH level? That would help you and your doctor put it all together...

Sounds like you need to sit down with him or her and discuss this a bit more... Did you hear about this T4 straight from the Doctor... Or did you just hear about it from someone in the office?

Don't get stuck in the past. What can you do today?

Mark
No, it is definitely a under performing thyroid. I haven't got clue and will be talking with him either tomorrow or Monday and yea it was just a nurse and she might have given me a TSH level.

Thanks for asking and I'll make sure I get the whole picture.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Margareth - I feel for you. I wonder about doctors sometimes and the older I've gotten, the more I've avoided them (which is probably not good policy, but I've had a few friends almost die due to physician error). On the other hand, we probably expect them to know everything all the time and that's just not possible.

I tested borderline low Thyroid a couple years ago and now wonder if my drinking (depletion of B vitamins) had something to do with the readings. I'm taking a Thyroid supplement (all natural, though) and figure I'll have the test again in the next year. It's not a cheap test.

I'm glad you posted instead of poured..... That's really awesome. I'll be sending prayers and positive thoughts to you. I don't like it when one of my fellow May classmates is having trouble!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Margareth, I know it's hard to accept that it took such a long time to find an answer, but try to be glad that now you know what is going on. It sounds like you need to do some more talking to your dr to figure out a solution, so hopefully that will be helpful for you. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3 I hope you and the doctor can get this sorted out soon.